The College of Liberal Arts is participating in the summer youth employment program, STEP-UP. Dean Parente has pledged 30 positions this year (first come, first served, up to one position in any given unit or department). If you would like to hire more than one STEP-UP student, your department or unit can sponsor additional positions out of your own budget.
This is a great opportunity for Minneapolis Youth and the College of Liberal Arts. In 2006 there were 187 STEP-UP students who graduated from high school, 90 who applied to the University of Minnesota, 66 were accepted, of which 39 enrolled.
This program is not only summer employment for students but we will have frequent workshops throughout the summer to help ramp-up their college readiness skills and to familiarize them with the University of Minnesota. These various opportunities will be considered part of their regular work day.
A date already on the calendar is Golden Gopher Day on July 24 hosted by the Office of Admissions. In the coming weeks, all supervisors and STEP-UP students will receive more information about each of these events.
To help you get started for this year, open the attachments for program materials. CLA payroll instructions are listed below:
- Program Fact Sheet - Key program facts.
- FAQ - Frequently asked questions.
- Time line & Hiring Process - Key dates for the program followed by the necessary steps for hiring a student.
- Job Description Form - Complete and return by April 30. Please be as detailed as possible. The more information we have about your needs, the better match we can make.
- Work site Agreement - Complete and return by April 30
(See additional attachments.)
Return the job description and work site agreement to:
111 Third Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
These are the CLA procedures for setting up STEP-UP students for payroll:
- Please provide Peggy Buckley (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- unit name
- supervisor(s) of student employee
- number of students expecting to employ through the program
- number of anticipated hours for each student
- hourly rate for each student
- Step-Up Employee's Payroll Instructions:
Please appoint your employees using Job Code 0001 (Temporary/Casual Employee). You must also list the equivalent CS/AFSCME Job Code on the CLA HRMS Entry Worksheet. (Example: if your employee is working as an Office Assistant, list Job Code 1821 in the space provided atthe bottom of the worksheet). In the comments section, write that the employee is hired through the Step-Up Program and give a description of the work they are doing. There needs to be a termination date on the document. The pay range is $7.00-$8.00 per hour.
Payroll questions: Toni Ziegler, 4-4153 or email@example.com
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 5-8649 or firstname.lastname@example.org.