March 1, 2009 - March 7, 2009 Archives
The form can be found online at:
The annual review of academic professional and administrative staff provides an opportunity to assess a staff member's personal progress, achievements, personal or professional development, and individual efforts in relation to the ongoing mission and goals of the unit. Opportunity should be made for open dialogue between the employee and supervisor in which achievements can be reviewed, problems can be addressed, any changes in work loads and expectations can be detailed and discussed, and new goals can be agreed upon. For the employee, supervisor, and the college the annual review provides a record of employee performance for consideration of merit, special merit, documentation important for professional development leave or promotions, and, where necessary, requests for improvement. The annual review provides an occasion for an employee to fulfill a desire to excel.
- Annual reviews are required for all P&A staff who hold appointments of 50% or greater and nine months or greater.
- Designated supervisors are responsible for initiating the annual review and conducting the evaluation conference.
Packets must include:
- written description of the unit's review process
- employee self evaluation
- signed review document
- employee response (if provided by employee).
Complete packets of review materials must be submitted in electronic format to CLA Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 23, 2009. Send review materials as attachments in a single email to Rick Jacobson at email@example.com
Further information and complete application guidelines can be found on the CLA Human Resources intranet page: http://cla.umn.edu/intranet/hr/AnnualReviewGuidelines.php
Promotion dossiers of academic professional and administrative staff (P&As) in promotional series can be submitted once per year. Units are responsible for developing and maintaining standards, guidelines and procedures for the promotion of P&A employees in classifications that are part of a promotional series.
Recommendations for promotion are reviewed initially by CLA's P&A Promotion and Leave Review Committee, which serves in advisory capacity to the Dean. Promotions approved by the College of Liberal Arts take effect the following fiscal- or academic-year; in mid- to late-June for A-term employees, or in late-August for B-term employees.
Candidates for promotion will be notified of the college's decision in mid to late-May.
Applications for P&A professional development leaves are considered during spring semester for leaves to be taken the following summer, fall, or the next spring; and during fall semester for leaves to be taken the following spring, summer, or next fall.
Applications for P&A professional development leaves must describe the activities of the requested leave, including length and dates of the leave, location of leave activities, a timeline or agenda for the leave specifying what the applicant intends to achieve and at what point, and a statement describing the anticipated benefits to the individual and unit.
Application materials are due in CLA Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 26, 2009. Please submit one copy of the application form and all necessary attachments in electronic format. Send professional leave application materials as attachments in a single email to Rick Jacobson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information and complete application guidelines can be found on the CLA Human Resources intranet page: http://cla.umn.edu/intranet/hr/ProfessionalDevelopmentLeaves.php
Beginning with the March 2, 2009 pay period, vacation accrual and tracking for eligible faculty and P & A employees will be entered into the PeopleSoft (PS) system.
The vacation balances that Departments recently submitted to Toni Ziegler (email@example.com) will be the beginning balances that will be reflected in PeopleSoft on March 2. The current balance and usage will be reflected on the employees pay check beginning with the March 25 pay date.
Management and Reporting of Vacation Usage
- The process around the managing of vacation usage is at the discretion of the department, including local requirements such as approvals.
- Vacation leave usage is to be reported by the employee when possible in advance of when vacation leave is taken or immediately following use. UM 1704 Faculty/P&A Vacation Leave Reporting form is to be used. Reporting is done in work weeks, days and half days (e.g., 2 weeks; 1 week and 2.5 days; .5 days). Dates of absence are also reported on the form. Below are the URL's to the form.
- The amount of vacation leave used and reported will be entered into PS by the authorized HRMS users on your Financial Service Team on a biweekly basis. This is particularly important if the employee is at their vacation maximum (22 days/176 hours). Please send the forms directly to your Service Team using the same process that you currently use for submitting Absence Cards for AFSCME/CS employees.
- Days entered into PS are automatically converted into hours to align with PS functionality.
- PS reflects accumulation in hours, not days. The conversion equivalents are:
- Full-time: 100% appointment 1 day = 8 hours; .5 days = 4 hours
- Part-time: Example of a vacation eligible appointment at less than 100% time:
- 75% appointment 1 day = 6 hours; .5 days = 3 hours
- Vacation usage is reported to faculty and P& A employee in hours on their pay statement or vacation leave report accessed via the Employee Self-Service website at http://hrss.umn.edu/.
Responsible administrators/supervisors may view vacation accrual and balances for their faculty and P&A employees through UM Reports at: www.umreports.umn.edu
All faculty activity reports and curricula vitae must be submitted electronically, on the "projects" drive. FARs and CVs should be submitted as separate files; pdf only. Please label each pdf file with the faculty member's last name and appropriate descriptor (FAR or CV). If available, please submit paper copies to the college as well. Contact Gayle Gabrielski (gabr0074; 5-1805) with questions.
Annual Review of Chairs/Directors - 30 March 2009
Chairs/Directors materials include: self-evaluation, unit evaluation of Chair/Director, FAR, CV. Submit all documents electronically, on the "projects" drive as separate PDF files. Please label each pdf file with the Chair's/Director's last name and appropriate descriptor (self eval, unit eval, FAR, CV). Contact Gayle Gabrielski with questions.
Complete electronic dossiers for P&A Promotions are due, 4:30 pm
Complete packets for P&A Annual Reviews are due, 4:30 pm
CLA Payroll cutoff for the 3/16/2009 - 3/29/2009 pay period, 4:30 pm
Application materials are due for P&A Professional Development Leaves, 4:30 pm
Monthly Financial Services / CLA Human Resources meeting, MPC Seminar Room (50 Willey Hall, West Bank), 9:10 - 10:30 am
CLA Payroll cutoff for the 3/30/2009 - 4/12/2009 pay period, 4:30 pm
Motley Award Dossiers and 9 copies due in 113 Johnston Hall