August 30, 2009 - September 5, 2009 Archives

E-Verify I-9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q1 How early can Section 1 be completed by my new hires?
A1 Employee can complete Section 1 anytime before their first day or on their first day of their appointment. It is best to complete Section 1 before the first day of work, because it takes less time when completing Section 2 with the Service Team.

Q2 Can my new hires complete Section 2 before their appointment start date?
A2 No. The window in E-Verify does not "open" to complete Section 2 before the employee start date because it's integrated with E-verify and E-verify will not accept completion of Section 2 before the first day of work. This is because E-verify is not to be used to "pre-screen" an employee before their first day of work.

Q3 Does my current staff need to complete their I-9?
A3 I-9's are only required for new hires and re-verification as required by Federal regulations.

Q4 How do I correct an incorrect start date?
A4 If an employee enters an incorrect start date in Section 1, it can be changed by the I-9 Administrator (financial service team EAS) when completing Section 2.

Q5 What if my employee chooses the wrong location in Section I?
A5 If an employee chooses the wrong location in Section 1 of the I-9, the HRMS Call Center can correct it if the start date is "today" or plus three business days.

Q6 What documentation should be brought in for the I-9 verification?
A6 When employees complete Section 1 of the I-9, they are provided with a list of acceptable documentation from which they may choose to bring in order to complete Section 2. Employees may not be told what they should bring.

Q7 Do I make photocopies of the documentation?
A7 No, do not print or keep printouts of anything from the system. Keeping copies of any documents is prohibited.

Q8 What about my employee who is overseas?
A8 If an employee is overseas, and never on campus, no I-9 is needed. The I-9 is for employment in the US only.

Q9 When are the "I-9 Days" for International Students?
A9 I-9 Days at Donhowe for Foreign National Employees are August 31, September 2, September 8, and September 9.

Q10 I am an international student without a Social Security Number; now what?
A10 International students without a Social Security number must go to the Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for a Social Security card. The SSA will issue a receipt which should be brought to the appointment made with Central Payroll to complete the I-9.

Q11 What about continuation of a foreign national appointment?
A11 If an appointment is being continued for a foreign national, the I-9 must be re-verified by Central Payroll if it has expired.

Q12 Is an I-9 required for 956x (fellowship) positions?
A12 Since students who hold fellowship appointments are not employees of the University, no I-9 form is required. However, if a student holds a 956x appointment concurrently with another appointment such as a TA or RA, then an I-9 is required. Also, if a student is appointed as a 956x one year, then a 9511 or a 9521 the next year, an I-9 must be completed when the 9511/9512 appointment begins.

Q13 What about rehires?
A13 Rehire language from the Office of Human Resources' "Form I-9 Regulations and Requirements" is as follows:

"An employee who is rehired within (3) three years of the date of the original hire (date the original I-9 form was completed) does not have to complete a new I-9 form, as long the employee is still eligible to work on the same basis as previously indicated on the I-9 form."

If it has been more than three years since an I-9 was completed, must a new one be completed? Per the above language, if it has been three years since original hire date, not since termination date, a new I-9 form must be completed.

Q14 What if my employee does not complete Section 2 of their I-9 within the first three days of employment?
A14 Federal law mandates that we not allow continued employment for anyone who has not completed their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment. For those who do not complete their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment, University administration has instructed us to suspend or terminate them (depending on the type of appointment) on day four; further we have been instructed to not un-suspend or reappoint them until the I-9 work is completed.

Q15 Who is responsible for initiating the suspension or termination?
A15 The department is responsible for providing the documentation required to suspend or terminate an employee based on the ineligibility to work. The department should work with the Service Team to complete the documentation.

Q16 Will a suspension or termination due to not completing the I-9 have any implications to my new hire's benefits?
A16 It is likely that the suspension/termination could have significant impact to an employee's pay, benefits, and immigration status.

Q17 How often is the HRMS system updated with the I-9 information?
A17 The HRMS system is updated with I-9 information on Monday and Wednesday nights. It may be run more often in the Fall Semester.

Q18 Are there any reports I can run to help track the I-9 status of my employees?
A18 There are no reports that can be run by departments or the service team at this time. They are being considered. Central Payroll runs a report every two weeks which identifies employees who are not in compliance. Central Payroll cannot pay these employees until the I-9 is completed. Central Payroll will contact the department for resolution.

Q19 Where can I find further information and training materials?
A19 Information can be found on the Office of Human Resources website at: http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/payroll/i9regs/index.html

2009-2010 Job Guarantee Program for Freshman

To: On-Campus Hiring Departments of Student Employees
From: Dyan Matczynski, Staffing Consultant, U of M Job Center
RE: 2009-2010 Job Guarantee Program for Freshman

Hi, everyone and thanks to those of you who have already contacted me regarding your participation in the Freshman Job Guarantee Program being held on Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., September 9th, at Northrop.

There is still space available for anyone who has any on-campus student jobs available and who may want to attend.

Please contact me if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Dyan Matczynski
Office of Human Resources

Phone: (612) 626-9460
E-mail: d-matc@umn.edu

I-9 Requirements and Compliance with Federal Law - Urgent

Memo To: CLA unit administrators
From: Jennifer Cieslak, Chief of Staff Scott Appelwick, Assistant Director, Financial Services
RE:  I-9 Requirements and Compliance with Federal Law - Urgent

We write to remind you of the urgency of complying with federal law by ensuring that all new employees complete both parts of the I-9 form electronically within three days of the start date of their appointment.

In this memo, we also restate roles and responsibilities for I-9 completion and compliance, summarize the implications of the changes in how the I-9 work is done, including the use of the new e-Verify system, and note the consequences of an employee not completing the I-9 in a timely manner.

As earlier communicated, federal law mandates that any new employee must complete their I-9 within the first three days of their appointment. This law is not new.

What is new, however, is that the University must now process all I-9's electronically utilizing e Verify. This takes away any "wiggle room" that may have existed in the past in meeting this requirement.

In brief:

Administrators are responsible to ensure that every new hire has completed their I-9 Form within three days of their appointment date.

After three days, administrators must notify their financial service team to suspend or terminate all new hires who have not completed their I-9.

Your Financial Service Team is available to assist in this endeavor.

Department administrators are responsible for ensuring that all new employees (i.e. faculty, instructional staff, graduate assistants, student workers) complete Section 1 of the I-9 (online) prior to the start of their appointment and making sure they complete Section 2 within the first three days of their appointment start date.

Completing Section 1 prior to their first day provides new staff with the list of acceptable documentation from which they are to choose one to bring with them on days one, two, or three.

Further, within the first three days of their appointment, the new employee must visit one of the financial service teams to complete Section 2 of the process. Your financial service teams are poised for the rush of I-9 work that will need to be completed during the first three days of fall semester (i.e., August 31, September 1 and September 2).

We will have "all hands on deck" in order to complete this work as efficiently as possible.

Numerous appointments have already been scheduled for the financial service teams' Executive Account Specialists (EAS) to attend departmental orientation sessions as a way to further be efficient in this endeavor. Let us know if you have other ideas that will be helpful to you.

Federal law mandates that we not allow continued employment for anyone who has not completed their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment.

For those who do not complete their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment, University administration has instructed us to suspend or terminate them (depending on the type of appointment) on day four; further, we have been instructed to not un-suspend or reappoint them until the I-9 work is completed. Please note that the suspension/termination could have significant impact to an employee's pay, benefits, and immigration status. Also, any I-9's that are completed after the third day must have a detailed explanation as to why the form is being processed late. In the event of an audit, this detailed explanation will be the University's only defense.

It is the department's responsibility to initiate the suspensions or terminations. Your financial service team is available, upon request, to help in this endeavor, such as assisting in keeping track of who has not yet completed their I-9. Once the administrator has found that an I-9 was not completed by the third day of the appointment, the administrator must contact the senior accountant on the financial service team to inform the senior accountant to process the suspension or termination.

CLA wants to do all it can to avoid placing people in a suspend or termination status; therefore we ask that departments and fiscal teams work closely together to plan, anticipate, and communicate, so that no one is removed from payroll. Please communicate this message to your hiring managers, Directors of Graduate Studies, DGS assistants, and anyone else who needs this information. We fully realize that for some departments this will require a change in workflow and in how new staff are brought on board. It is a responsibility that we all share as we work to keep the University in compliance with this federal law.

Please see attached FAQ for further information regarding I-9 processes.

If you have any questions, please contact your unit service team lead or your HR representative.

Thank you for your cooperation.

JEC/SA/mr/pb

See attachment

CLA Integrated Reporting (CLAIR) Web Application

With the help of CLA OIT staff, the CLAIR web application has been redesigned and migrated to a new php framework.

On September 3rd we will bring the system down for final testing. The new system will be available on September 4th by 10 a.m.

Please note the new address, and update your workbooks:

http://fiscal.cla.umn.edu

CLAIR contains a variety of reports to assist departmental and collegiate staff with curriculum planning and management of instructional resources, including historical course enrollments, student course taking patterns, major/minor counts by department and plan, and instructional expenditures. The functionality of the new application will be very similar to the old application. The most significant changes will be navigational and an expanded report offering.

We are planning a brief demo of the new application at the August 27th Joint Financial/HR meeting, and additional user training is being planned for sometime in September.

If you have any questions please contact Pandora Aaron.

CLA NOW Announcement CLA Sneak Preview 2009

A note of appreciation

On behalf of the Office of Undergraduate Programs, I am writing to express our sincere gratitude and appreciation for your participation in the 2009 College of Liberal Arts Sneak Preview for prospective students and their families. Between the two events, CLA and the Office of Admissions hosted nearly 400 students and more than 700 guests, the largest turnout in the event's history.

We are extremely grateful for your time and support in helping us to recruit these talented students. Because of your participation, prospective students had an opportunity to imagine themselves in the center of the liberal arts at a world-class research institution. The feedback from student and their families was extremely positive. Your efforts to help these outstanding students get excited about the programs and opportunities available in the College, is critical to our success. Thank you for collaborating with us to recruit the Class of 2014.

Jennifer Windsor, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Hire a Grad Payroll Module (Inter-Sections)

If you need to make any changes to your graduate appointments after the appointments have been entered into HRMS PeopleSoft, you need to contact your financial service team.

At this juncture, changes or revisions need to be handled "manually" utilizing the HRMS worksheet with REVISION written on the top. CLA OIT is currently working on modifying the "Hire a Grad" module to accommodate changes to graduate student appointments after they have been entered in PeopleSoft.

However, until this modification has been completed, notify your service team of any graduate student hire changes or updates (cancellations; changes to: percentage of time, comp rate, job code and position #).

The service team will print out the current HRMS spreadsheet; write Revision on the top; make the necessary changes; and then forward to the CLA Payroll office in order to have the appointment changes made in HRMS PeopleSoft.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

September 18
CLA Payroll cutoff for the 9/14/2009 - 9/27/2009 pay period, 4:30 pm

September 25
CLA Financial / Human Resources Meeting, Minnesota Population Seminar Room, 50 Willey Hall (West Bank), 9:00 am

This page is an archive of entries from August 2009 listed from newest to oldest.

August 23, 2009 - August 29, 2009 is the previous archive.

September 6, 2009 - September 12, 2009 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives