August 29, 2010 - September 4, 2010 Archives

BCT & Conduct Summary

At the August CLA NOW meeting Sean Wiseman from CLA Student Services presented information on the BCT (Behavioral Consultation Team) and CLA Conduct Procedures.  Below is a link to the summary document for your reference. 

BCT & Conduct Summary.docx

Salary Increase Documents

CLA Payroll must have Academic merit increases in place in HRMS by October 13, 2010. In order to make this cutoff, the CLA Payroll Office has set a special deadline of September 17, 2010 for the receipt of the HRMS Worksheets.  The Financial Service Teams will need the information prior to this date.  The attached document provides further information.

HRMS Key Contacts and ACES
In preparation for the restoration of Academic FY12 salaries to their unreduced rate, please read the attached document carefully. 

Academic Salary Restoration.docx

Set Gmail as Default for Email Links in Webpages

Often you want to click on an email address link in a webpage to send an email. By default it will open your local email client (ie. Thunderbird), but it is possible to set Firefox to use Gmail as the default email client, so all messages go through Gmail.

1. Launch Firefox (note this only works in Firefox, not Safari, not Internet Explorer)

2. Navigate to your Gmail account at http://gmail.umn.edu

3. Login to Gmail

4. Copy and paste the code below into the Firefox address bar and hit enter (in the same window your Gmail is open in)

javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler("mailto","https://mail.google.com/a/umn.edu/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=%s","GMail")

5. Click the 'Add Application' button that appears in the top right.

Now all email links should open in Gmail. Thanks to Will Bear, IT Manager in Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, for these instructions.

Please contact the CLA-OIT Service Desk at 624-4357 or help@cla.umn.edu for assistance with this, or other Google Apps questions.

Religious Holidays/EEO Religious Calendar

A reminder to be aware of religious holidays as you plan events and class programs. During the first week of class, the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah occurs on September 9-10, next Thursday and Friday, and the end of Ramadan is on Friday, September 10th.

The Religious Calendar can be found on the EOAA website at http://www.eoaffact.umn.edu/resources/calendar/religious.html.  

I-9 Requirements and Compliance with Federal Law

We write to remind you of the importance of complying with federal law by ensuring that all new employees complete both parts of the I-9 form electronically within three days of the start date of their appointment.

Federal law mandates that any new employee must complete their I-9 within the first three days of their appointment.

The University processes all I-9's electronically utilizing e Verify.  This takes away any "wiggle room" that may have existed in the past in meeting this requirement.

Key Roles and Responsibilities:

Administrators are responsible to ensure that every new hire has completed their I-9 Form within three days of their appointment date.

After three days, administrators must notify their financial service team to suspend or terminate all new hires who have not completed their I-9.

Your Financial Service Team is available to assist in this endeavor.

Department administrators are responsible for ensuring that all new employees (i.e. faculty, instructional staff, graduate assistants, student workers) complete Section 1 of the I-9 (online) prior to the start of their appointment and making sure they complete Section 2 within the first three days of their appointment start date.

Completing Section 1 prior to their first day provides new staff with the list of acceptable documentation from which they are to choose one to bring with them on days one, two, or three. Please see attached New Employee Letter.

Further, within the first three days of their appointment, the new employee must visit one of the financial service teams to complete Section 2 of the process.  Your financial service teams are poised for the rush of I-9 work that will need to be completed during the first three days of fall semester (i.e., August 30, September 31 and September 1).

We will have "all hands on deck" in order to complete this work as efficiently as possible. 

Numerous appointments have already been scheduled for the financial service teams' Executive Account Specialists (EAS) to attend departmental orientation sessions as a way to further be efficient in this endeavor.  Let us know if you have other ideas that will be helpful to you.

Federal law mandates that we not allow continued employment for anyone who has

not completed their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment. 

For those who do not complete their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment, University administration has instructed us to suspend or terminate them (depending on the type of appointment) on day four;  further, we have been instructed to not un-suspend or reappoint them until the I-9 work is completed.  Please note that the suspension/termination could have significant impact to an employee's pay, benefits, and immigration status.  Also, any I-9's that are completed after the third day must have a detailed explanation as to why the form is being processed late.  In the event of an audit, this detailed explanation will be the University's only defense.

It is the department's responsibility to initiate the suspensions or terminations.  Your financial service team is available, upon request, to help in this endeavor, such as assisting in keeping track of who has not yet completed their I-9.   Once the administrator has found that an I-9 was not completed by the third day of the appointment, the administrator must contact the senior accountant on the financial service team to inform the senior accountant to process the suspension or termination.

CLA wants to do all it can to avoid placing people in  a suspend or termination status; therefore we ask that departments and fiscal teams work closely together to plan, anticipate, and communicate, so that no one is removed from payroll. Please communicate this message to your hiring managers, Directors of Graduate Studies, DGS assistants, and anyone else who needs this information.  We fully realize that for some departments this will require a change in workflow and in how new staff are brought on board.  It is a responsibility that we all share as we work to keep the University in compliance with this federal law.

Please see attached FAQ for further information regarding I-9 processes.

If you have any questions, please contact your unit service team lead or your HR representative.

Thank you for your cooperation. 

Attachments: 

I-9_New_Employee_Letter.docx

I-9 FAQ.docx

FY11 TIP Deadlines

FY11 TIP Deadlines for UM Foundation Invoices
The Foundation Invoicing deadline for October 31, 2010 TIP, is noon on September 17, 2010. Please submit signed invoices as early as possible to avoid a backlog close to the 17th.

Remaining FY11 deadlines for Foundation invoices:
    Jan 14, 2011 (noon) - For Feb 28, 2011 TIP
    May 13, 2011 (noon) - For June 30, 2011 TIP

If you have questions, contact Rose Pederson (r-kerb@umn.edu)

Mark Your Calendar

September 9

CLA NOW Monthly Meeting, 9:00 - 10:30 a.m., MPC Seminar Room (50 Willey Hall - West Bank)

September 17

Noon -  Foundation Invoicing deadline for October 31, 2010 TIP

CLA Payroll deadline for Salary Increase HRMS worksheets

This page is an archive of entries from August 2010 listed from newest to oldest.

August 22, 2010 - August 28, 2010 is the previous archive.

September 5, 2010 - September 11, 2010 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives