August 21, 2011 - August 27, 2011 Archives

CLA Space and Planning

Reminder: Writing Studies Move and Disruption of Work

Between August 24 and 30, the Department of Writing Studies (excluding Center for Writing, who will remain in Nicholson) will be moving into Nolte Center. This will mean that department staff will not have regular access to phones and computers during this period. If there are urgent matters that need attention from the unit, please contact Scott Elton in the CLA Planning Office (elton003@umn.edu, 6-0950). Thank you for your patience and understanding during this busy time.

I-9 Requirements and Compliance with Federal Law

We write to remind you of the importance of complying with federal law by ensuring that all new employees complete both parts of the I-9 form electronically within three days of the start date of their appointment.
Federal law mandates that any new employee must complete their I-9 within the first three days of their appointment.
The University processes all I-9's electronically utilizing e Verify.  This takes away any "wiggle room" that may have existed in the past in meeting this requirement.

Key Roles and Responsibilities:
  • Administrators are responsible to ensure that every new hire has completed their I-9 Form within three days of their appointment date.
  • After three days, administrators must notify their financial service team to suspend or terminate all new hires who have not completed their I-9.
  • Your Financial Service Team is available to assist in this endeavor.
  • Department administrators are responsible for ensuring that all new employees (i.e. faculty, instructional staff, graduate assistants, student workers) complete Section 1 of the I-9 (online) prior to the start of their appointment and making sure they complete Section 2 within the first three days of their appointment start date.
Completing Section 1 prior to their first day provides new staff with the list of acceptable documentation from which they are to choose one to bring with them on days one, two, or three. Please see attached New Employee Letter.

Further, within the first three days of their appointment, the new employee must visit one of the financial service teams to complete Section 2 of the process.  Your financial service teams are poised for the rush of I-9 work that will need to be completed during the first three days of fall semester (i.e., August 29, 30, 31).

We will have "all hands on deck" in order to complete this work as efficiently as possible.

Numerous appointments have already been scheduled for the financial service teams' Executive Account Specialists (EAS) to attend departmental orientation sessions as a way to further be efficient in this endeavor.  Let us know if you have other ideas that will be helpful to you.

Federal law mandates that we not allow continued employment for anyone who has not completed their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment.

For those who do not complete their I-9 form within the first three days of their appointment, University administration has instructed us to suspend or terminate them (depending on the type of appointment) on day four;  further, we have been instructed to not un-suspend or reappoint them until the I-9 work is completed.  Please note that the suspension/termination could have significant impact to an employee's pay, benefits, and immigration status.  Also, any I-9's that are completed after the third day must have a detailed explanation as to why the form is being processed late.  In the event of an audit, this detailed explanation will be the University's only defense.

It is the department's responsibility to initiate the suspensions or terminations.  Your financial service team is available, upon request, to help in this endeavor, such as assisting in keeping track of who has not yet completed their I-9.   Once the administrator has found that an I-9 was not completed by the third day of the appointment, the administrator must contact the senior accountant on the financial service team to inform the senior accountant to process the suspension or termination.

CLA wants to do all it can to avoid placing people in  a suspend or termination status; therefore we ask that departments and fiscal teams work closely together to plan, anticipate, and communicate, so that no one is removed from payroll. Please communicate this message to your hiring managers, Directors of Graduate Studies, DGS assistants, and anyone else who needs this information.  We fully realize that for some departments this will require a change in workflow and in how new staff are brought on board.  It is a responsibility that we all share as we work to keep the University in compliance with this federal law.

Please see attached FAQ for further information regarding I-9 processes.

If you have any questions, please contact your unit service team lead or your HR representative.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I-9 Days for Foreign National Employees

TO: I-9 Administrators
FR: Laura Negrini, Associate Director, Payroll Services

August 17, 2011:
With the start of the school year fast approaching and need for Foreign Nationals to complete their payroll paperwork, we will hold one (1) I-9 Day to accommodate the volume of activity. In addition, we will have walk-in service available August 30 through September 2. No appointments will be necessary during this time. Foreign Nationals can expect to spend 10-15 minutes completing the paperwork and online I-9 form.

I-9 day will be held in room 315 Donhowe on Monday, August 29, 8:30a.m-3:00 p.m. (Note: service will not be available at WBOB during this time.)

While we hope to serve the majority of Foreign National employees during the I-9 day, walk-in service will be available from August 30 through September 2 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in room 170 Donhowe Building. Scheduling of appointments for Foreign National employees will resume on September 6.

The online I-9 form must be completed during the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and make sure they complete the required paperwork in order to ensure compliance with the 3-day rule.
Who should and should not attend?
  • All new foreign national employees with fall term appointments should come to Donhowe (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 and other paperwork.
  • Foreign national non-service fellows (company UNS) should not be sent to Donhowe as they do not need to complete the I-9 form.
What should be done before the foreign national employee comes to Donhowe?
  • Your Foreign National employee(s) must visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work and completing the I-9.
  • If they do not have a social security number, they must apply for a social security number at Social Security Administration before coming to Donhowe.
  • More information about the foreign national process can be found at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.
What documents should the foreign national employees bring to Donhowe?
  • Passport, I94 card, visa document (I20, DS2019, etc.)
  • Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration
  • Department location (for the Online I-9) and department contact name and phone number
If you have any questions, please contact the OHR Call Center at (612) 625-2016.
To help students, particularly graduate assistants, avoid long wait times at the Social Security Administration (SSA) office, ISSS has collaborated with SSA staff to set up special application sessions for international students. Please help us get the word out. To sign up for a session, students should email Marissa Hill­‐Dongre indicating the date they intend to participate: hill0707@umn.edu
Session Dates:
  • Thursday, August 18
  • Monday, August 22
  • Thursday, August 25

Theresa GanglGhassemlouei
International Student Adviser
190 Humphrey Center
Phone: 612-626-7100
Fax: 612-626-7361
Website: ISSS.umn.edu
International Student & Scholar Services: Building and inspiring the University's international community

CLA NOW Meeting

Here's Some of What You Missed

Thursday, August 18, 2011
Please follow the links below to find the powerpoint presentations from last week's CLA NOW meeting. Both presentations include many helpful links and resources.

Beginning in FY12, staff who have the Requester and Receiver role were automatically granted access to receive "Rolled Purchase Orders". Those are the POs that have rolled over from the previous fiscal year. As long as they created the original requisition and the item is not a capital asset, they can receive these POs. The Procurement Specialist will still need to be contacted to receive the capital assets. In order to retain this access, a short on-line training video is mandatory to review by September 1, 2011.

CLA-OIT System Maintenance Window

Saturday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Services Affected (avoid these during the window)

• Active Directory file storage (Home, Shared, Project folders)
  • Research servers
  • Unix-based file servers (clio and thalia)
  • Database servers
  • CLA Terminal Server
  • Linux Terminal Server
  • Web servers

Services Not Affected (common services that users often ask about)

• Google Apps (Gmail, Docs, Sites)

Specific Details

• Security Patching:
    • operating system and application patches for all servers
  • Hardware Changes:
    • physically moving servers
    • perform routine maintenance tasks which will require rebooting most Unix servers

FAQ

What is a "system maintenance window"?

In order to correct a technical issue, install a security patch, or upgrade server hardware, CLA-OIT must occasionally disrupt normal networked services. Whenever possible, we plan such service outages in advance during times that minimize the disruption to our users.

Can I work during the maintenance window?

In general, CLA-OIT recommends that you avoid using the affected services during the maintenance window. Systems may be available during the maintenance window, but they can and will be shut down without warning and may be unavailable for hours at a time. So, use only at your own risk.

Can't this be done without disrupting service?

Certain tasks require server reboots and/or physically unplugging electricity. We do our best to group these tasks together to minimize the number of outages we schedule each year--which is generally less than five.

Can you reschedule this window to a more convenient time?

CLA-OIT strives to select times that minimize disruption. It isn't possible to pick a time that will not affect somebody. We also have to consider the availability of our staff and central OIT staff who run the data centers and networks. We try to soften the impact by announcing maintenance windows well in advance.

How do I find out more?

If you have any questions or concerns contact us at 612-624-4357 (4-help) or 4help@umn.edu.

CLA-OIT System Maintenance Windows Google Calendar

Subscribe at: http://z.umn.edu/maintenance

This page is an archive of entries from August 2011 listed from newest to oldest.

August 14, 2011 - August 20, 2011 is the previous archive.

August 28, 2011 - September 3, 2011 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives