I-9 Days for Foreign National Employees

TO: I-9 Administrators
FR: Laura Negrini, Associate Director, Payroll Services

August 17, 2011:
With the start of the school year fast approaching and need for Foreign Nationals to complete their payroll paperwork, we will hold one (1) I-9 Day to accommodate the volume of activity. In addition, we will have walk-in service available August 30 through September 2. No appointments will be necessary during this time. Foreign Nationals can expect to spend 10-15 minutes completing the paperwork and online I-9 form.

I-9 day will be held in room 315 Donhowe on Monday, August 29, 8:30a.m-3:00 p.m. (Note: service will not be available at WBOB during this time.)

While we hope to serve the majority of Foreign National employees during the I-9 day, walk-in service will be available from August 30 through September 2 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in room 170 Donhowe Building. Scheduling of appointments for Foreign National employees will resume on September 6.

The online I-9 form must be completed during the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and make sure they complete the required paperwork in order to ensure compliance with the 3-day rule.
Who should and should not attend?
  • All new foreign national employees with fall term appointments should come to Donhowe (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 and other paperwork.
  • Foreign national non-service fellows (company UNS) should not be sent to Donhowe as they do not need to complete the I-9 form.
What should be done before the foreign national employee comes to Donhowe?
  • Your Foreign National employee(s) must visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work and completing the I-9.
  • If they do not have a social security number, they must apply for a social security number at Social Security Administration before coming to Donhowe.
  • More information about the foreign national process can be found at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.
What documents should the foreign national employees bring to Donhowe?
  • Passport, I94 card, visa document (I20, DS2019, etc.)
  • Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration
  • Department location (for the Online I-9) and department contact name and phone number
If you have any questions, please contact the OHR Call Center at (612) 625-2016.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by erinf published on August 24, 2011 3:00 PM.

CLA Space and Planning was the previous entry in this blog.

CLA NOW Meeting is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Weekly Archives


Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en