U-Card Office: Procedures and Requirements

Following are the eligibility requirements and the procedural steps necessary to obtain a U Card. Please retain and refer to this memo as your guide to helping individuals better understand who is eligible to receive a U Card and how, when and where a U Card can be obtained.

U Card Eligibility and Procedures
      • An individual must meet one of the following criteria prior to obtaining a U Card:
      • Students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) must be admitted and/or registered with the University. Note: University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.
      • Faculty, academic staff, staff, graduate students, retired faculty, retired academic staff, retired staff and Regents must have appointments entered in HRMS. This includes individuals whose appointments are both paid and unpaid. Note: graduate students with appointments in HRMS qualify for the U Card staff checking account.
      • Affiliated faculty, affiliated academic staff, affiliated staff, affiliated students and visiting students must have the sponsoring department purchase a sponsored account to formalize their sponsorship (www.umn.edu/dirtools/sponsor). The U Card Office will grant a one-year term for U Card eligibility. At the end of each fiscal year, we will request departmental verification of an individual's continued status. A good indication that an individual is in the University Data base (and by extension the x.500 directory) and is ready to receive a card is when they have received an official University e-mail address and/or is listed in the online directory.

U Card Issuance
U Cards are issued at the Coffman Union U Card Office located at 300 Washington Avenue SE, Room G22. Hours are 8:00 to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. U Cards are also issued at the University Rec Center and the St. Paul Gym.

Visit us at www.umn.edu/ucard for hours at these locations. A government issued photo ID must be presented. Digital photos are taken as part of the card issuance process. A replacement fee may be assessed for lost, stolen or damaged U Cards.     

    • U Card brochures are available for distribution by calling (612) 626-9900.
    • Visit our web page at www.umn.edu/ucard for the most up-to-date information about our program. 
    • Employees who qualify for a U Card and are stationed more than 50 miles from the metro area will be allowed to submit a current, standard sized, passport quality photo to their applicable department. A sponsor within the department should forward the photo, along with any necessary paperwork based on the role descriptions above to the U Card Office. The individual's photo will be scanned and a U Card will be printed and sent back to the department for distribution. It is essential a departmental liaison be involved in this process (individuals may not send their photo directly to the U Card Office). This procedure can be initiated by calling (612) 626-9900. 
    • U Cards must NOT be collected upon termination of employment. 
    • U Cards must NOT be retained and used as collateral for departmental services.
    • If someone is fraudulently using a U Card, please notify our office as soon as possible.

We are confident the U Card will continue to make campus life easier for the University community and appreciate the time you have taken to understand our procedures.

If you have any questions, please contact the U Card Office:

Alison Blomster
Marketing & Operations Manager 
2011-12 President's Emerging Leadership Program Participant
U Card Office
University of Minnesota Coffman Memorial Union
Room G22 300
Washington Avenue SE Minneapolis, MN 55414

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by erinf published on October 5, 2011 2:00 PM.

Transitional Administrative Director was the previous entry in this blog.

Employee Exit Surveys is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Weekly Archives


Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en