August 19, 2012 - August 25, 2012 Archives

I-9 Days for Foreign National Employees

The following communication comes from Laura Negrini, Associate Director for Payroll Services

With the start of the school year fast approaching and need for Foreign Nationals to complete their payroll paperwork, we will hold one (1) I-9 Day to accommodate the volume of activity. In addition, appointments will not be scheduled from August 29 through September 7--walk-in service will be provided instead. Foreign Nationals can expect to spend 10-15 minutes completing the necessary paperwork and online I-9 form.

I-9 day will be held in room 315 Donhowe on the following date:

Tuesday August 28, 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Note: no I-9 service at WBOB on August 28).

Walk in service will be provided in room 100 Donhowe and 545 WBOB on:
  • August 29 - September 7

The online I-9 form must be completed within the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and make sure they come on the date that ensures compliance with the 3-day rule.

Who should and should not attend?
  • All new foreign national employees with fall term appointments should come to Donhowe (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 and other paperwork.
  • Foreign national non-service fellows (company UNS) should not be sent to Donhowe as they do not need to complete the I-9 form.

What should be done before the foreign national employee comes to Donhowe?
  • Your Foreign National employee(s) must visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work and completing the I-9.
  • If they do not have a social security number, they must apply for a social security number at Social Security Administration before coming to Donhowe.
  • More information about the foreign national process can be found at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.

What documents should the foreign national employees bring to Donhowe?
  • Passport, I94 card, visa document (I20, DS2019, etc.),
  • Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration.
  • Department location (for the Online I-9) and department contact name and phone number.

If you have any questions, please contact the OHR Call Center at (612) 625-2016.

Freshman Job Guarantee Program Event

The following message comes from HR PRO-LINK

Student Employment Programs Reminder

Hello: The Job Guarantee Program event is approaching! We would like to invite you back this year to participate in the Job Guarantee Program for new incoming freshman. As this is a very busy time of the year, and in an effort to accommodate your department busy schedules and time constraints, our Job Fair will be held from 9:00am-1:00pm, Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in the Mississippi Room at Coffman Union. Please see the guidelines for more information.

As you know we had tremendous success with this program in years past and with your help look forward to another successful year. This year, we have accepted 500 freshman students into the program and hope you will participate again. Many of the students will have work-study awards, however, some may not. We ask that you consider all qualified students for hire regardless of the student's financial status.

If your department is interested in participating in this program this year, attached you will find the registration form. Please complete the registration form and send via email fjgprog@umn.edu or fax (612) 625-9801. If you have questions, please feel free email or call me at ldavisca@umn.edu or (612) 626-2218.

We would like to confirm department participation within the next few days. Please respond immediately. Space is Limited!!

This page is an archive of entries from August 2012 listed from newest to oldest.

August 12, 2012 - August 18, 2012 is the previous archive.

August 26, 2012 - September 1, 2012 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives