August 26, 2012 - September 1, 2012 Archives
With the start of the school year fast approaching, Foreign Nationals need to complete their payroll paperwork. Walk-in service will be available from August 29 through September 7 in room 100 Donhowe and 545 WBOB. Individual appointments will not be scheduled during this time. Foreign Nationals can expect to spend 10-15 minutes completing the necessary paperwork and online I-9 form.
The online I-9 form must be completed within the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and make sure they come on the date that ensures compliance with the 3-day rule.
Who should and should not attend?
- All new foreign national employees with fall term appointments should come to Donhowe (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 and other paperwork.
- Foreign national non-service fellows (company UNS) should not be sent to Donhowe as they do not need to complete the I-9 form.
- Your Foreign National employee(s) must visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work and completing the I-9.
- If they do not have a social security number, they must apply for a social security number at Social Security Administration before coming to Donhowe.
- More information about the foreign national process can be found at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.
- Passport, I94 card, visa document (I20, DS2019, etc.),
- Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration.
- Department location (for the Online I-9) and department contact name and phone number.
The link to employee self service is: hrss.umn.edu
Dan Kunitz, CLA Web Team lead and project manager, will be leaving CLA-OIT on Friday, August 31. Dan has accepted the position of Digital Content and IT Professional at the U's Institute on the Environment where he will continue to lend his expertise in the web realm while branching into new territory at the IonE's service desk. As an avid conservationist, Dan and the Institute will be a wonderful fit. Our loss is most certainly their gain!
Note that during this interim period we will make every attempt to provide the same level of support you've come to expect. Need updates to your department's website? Need access to edit your site with Contribute? Continue to send these and any other web-related questions or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.