Friday, January 4, 2013, 10 p.m. to Sunday, January 6, 2013, 12 p.m.
Services Affected (avoid these during the window)
- All CLA-operated servers
- CLA websites
- CLA databases
- Research servers
- Terminal servers
- z.umn.edu URL shortener
- All University-operated servers
Services Not Affected (common services that are often ask about)
- Google Apps (Gmail, Docs, Sites)
- The University data center at the West Bank Office Building will be powered down from 6 a.m. Saturday until 6 a.m. Sunday for annual maintenance. For more information, see data center maintenance.
- CLA system administrators will shut down CLA systems before power is cut, beginning at 10 p.m. on Friday, January 4. All affected services are expected to be restored by noon on Sunday, January 6.
- CLA system engineers will also take advantage of this outage by carrying out routine maintenance tasks including security patching and equipment upgrades.
What is a "system maintenance window"?
In order to correct a technical issue, install a security patch, or upgrade server hardware, CLA-OIT must occasionally disrupt normal networked services. Whenever possible, we plan such service outages in advance during times that minimize the disruption to our users.
Can I work during the maintenance window?
In general, CLA-OIT recommends that you avoid using the affected services during the maintenance window. Systems may be available during the maintenance window, but they can and will be shut down without warning and may be unavailable for hours at a time. So, use only at your own risk.
Can't this be done without disrupting service?
Certain tasks require server reboots and/or physically unplugging electricity. We do our best to group these tasks together to minimize the number of outages we schedule each year--which is generally less than five.
Can you reschedule this window to a more convenient time?
We strive to select times that minimize disruption. It isn't possible to pick a time that will not affect somebody. We also have to consider the availability of our staff and central OIT staff who run the data centers and networks. We try to soften the impact by announcing maintenance windows well in advance.
How do I find out more?
If you have any questions or concerns contact us at 612-624-4357 (4-help) or email@example.com.
CLA-OIT System Maintenance Windows Google Calendar
Subscribe at: http://bit.ly/SJhpdG