I-9 Processing Reminders (for Non-Foreign Nationals)

With spring semester appointments starting January 10th, it is time to send out a reminder regarding Form I-9 processing. Completing Section 1 prior to their first day provides new staff with the list of acceptable documentation for them to bring when meeting with their service team.  E-Verify will now enable you to select a future hire date up to 365 calendar days after the current date. In other words, Part II can now be completed in advance of the first three days of their employment. The latest this can be done stays unchanged. It must be done by the third day of employment. It is also important that Part II not be completed until the employee has actually been hired and we have received an accepted offer letter. This is because the I-9 Employment Verification process cannot be used to "pre-screen" candidates.

Key Roles and Responsibilities:
  • Administrators are responsible to ensure that every new hire has completed their I-9 Form before the third day of the start of their appointment.
  • After three days, administrators must notify their financial service team to suspend or terminate all new hires who have not completed their I-9.
  • Your Financial Service Team is available to assist in this endeavor.
  • Department administrators are responsible for ensuring that all new employees (i.e. faculty, instructional staff, graduate assistants, student workers) complete Section 1 of the I-9 (online) prior to the start of their appointment and making sure they complete Section 2 before the third day of the start of their appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact your senior accountant or your HR representative.

This page contains a single entry by Cassandra Cockburn published on January 9, 2013 2:16 PM.

ESUP Update was the previous entry in this blog.

New Online Training Course: Completing the Vendor Authorization Form is the next entry in this blog.

Weekly Archives