August 18, 2013 - August 24, 2013 Archives

I-9 Processing Reminders (for Non-Foreign Nationals)

With fall semester right around the corner it is that time again to send out a reminder regarding Form I-9 processing. You will recall that E-Verify will now enable you to select a future hire date up to 365 calendar days after the current date. In other words, Part II can be completed in advance of the first three days of their employment. The latest this can be done stays unchanged. It must be done by the third day of employment. It is also important that Part II not be completed until the employee has actually been hired and we have received an accepted offer letter. This is because the I-9 Employment Verification process cannot be used to "pre-screen" candidates. 

Key Roles and Responsibilities:

-    Administrators are responsible to ensure that every new hire has completed their I-9 Form before the third day of the start of their appointment.

-    After three days, administrators must notify their financial service team to suspend or terminate all new hires who have not completed their I-9.

-    Your Financial Service Team is available to assist in this endeavor.

-    Department administrators are responsible for ensuring that all new employees (i.e. faculty, instructional staff, graduate assistants, student workers) complete Section 1 of the I-9 (online) prior to the start of their appointment and making sure they complete Section 2 before the third day of the start of their appointment.

Completing Section 1 prior to their first day provides new staff with the list of acceptable documentation from which they are to choose one to bring with them when meeting with their service team. 

Numerous appointments have already been scheduled for the financial service teams' Executive Account Specialists (EAS) to attend departmental orientation sessions as a way to further be efficient in this endeavor. Taking advantage of processing the I-9 during scheduled group meetings has been identified as a best practice. Let your service team know if you have other ideas that will be helpful to you.

If you have any questions, please contact your senior accountant or your HR representative.

Thank you for your cooperation. 

HRIF forms for new graduate student employees who do not have historical appointment information in HRMS are required.  This is because new appointments in HRMS need the following three addresses input into HRMS:  home address, campus mail address and campus office address.

When submitting these forms to payroll for new employees, please make sure that you fill out the form completely.

ESUP Update

This page is an archive of entries from August 2013 listed from newest to oldest.

August 11, 2013 - August 17, 2013 is the previous archive.

August 25, 2013 - August 31, 2013 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives