September 1, 2013 - September 7, 2013 Archives

Reminder for New Employees

Please advise new employees that their home address and phone are automatically published in the online directories unless they take steps to suppress the information. Personal address and phone information can be suppressed for new employees at the time of initial entry into the payroll system, if requested on the HRIF, but employees should be directed to employee self-service as well so they can maintain their own address and suppression levels.

The link to employee self-service is: 
hrss.umn.edu

I-9 Day for New Foreign National Employees

The following is a message from Heather Kidd, Payroll Services Director:

Thank you for supporting our Foreign National employees as they fill out needed I-9 paperwork.  Below is information about resources available to them, including two help sessions and a daily walk-in service.

I have also included some frequently asked questions at the bottom of this email to help you better serve employees.

I-9 Help Sessions

Tuesday, August 27

Coffman Memorial Union, Room 323

9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Wednesday, August 28

Coffman Memorial Union, Room 304

9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Walk-In Service

From August 28 - September 7, daily walk-in support is available in Room 545 West Bank Office Building (WBOB) from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Please note individual I-9 appointments will not be scheduled during that time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How long will it take to fill out the I-9 paperwork?

A1: Typically, it takes 15-20 minutes to complete the I-9 paperwork and online form.

Q2:  After an employee is hired, what's the deadline for completing the I-9 paperwork?

A2: The online I-9 form must be completed within the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and remind them about the three-day rule.

Q3: Who should attend the I-9 Help Sessions?

A3:  All new Foreign National employees with fall term appointments should come to an I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 form. If they can't attend the Coffman Union sessions, walk-in service is available in 545 WBOB, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

All Foreign National non-service fellows (company UNS) should not come to the I-9 Help Session since they do not need to complete the I-9 form.

Q4: What should be done before the Foreign National employee comes to I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union or visits WBOB?

A4: Each Foreign National employee needs to do the following:

·         Visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work.

·         Apply for a Social Security Number at the Social Security Administration.

·         Upon receiving a Social Security Number, complete section one of the I-9 form online at http://www.newi9.com/.  They should enter the employer code 13636.

·         Review the information available at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.

Q5: What documents should the Foreign National employees bring to I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union or the walk-in service at WBOB?

A5: The Foreign National employee should bring:

·         Valid passport

·         Printed I-94 document from Homeland Security Website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov

·         Employment authorization documentation - all pages (I-20, DS2019, I797)

·         Employment authorization card (If holder has F1T Visa).

·         Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration

·         Department location

·         Department contact name and phone number

·         Employment start date

If you or your employees have additional questions, please contact the OHR Call Center at 612-624-8647 or 1-800-756-2363.

Fall Appointments and Class Lists

CLA Payroll staff have been working diligently to enter fall appointments for returning instructors and assistants by the first day of classes to ensure that these employees will be able to access their class rosters. In the case that units need to submit late appointments, we want to make you are aware of an alternative way to access these class rosters.

·            Go to: www.umreports.umn.edu

·            Type "class list" in search reports field

·            Select either "Class List" or "Class List by Subject - PDF Format"

·            Follow the prompts to arrive at the course for which you need a roster

Administrators and support staff in units should be able to access these lists.

Please submit fall appointments and payroll information to your team as soon as offers have been confirmed and avoid waiting until the last minute if at all possible.

Thank you for your cooperation.

This page is an archive of entries from September 2013 listed from newest to oldest.

August 25, 2013 - August 31, 2013 is the previous archive.

September 8, 2013 - September 14, 2013 is the next archive.

Weekly Archives