I-9 Day for New Foreign National Employees

The following is a message from Heather Kidd, Payroll Services Director:

Thank you for supporting our Foreign National employees as they fill out needed I-9 paperwork.  Below is information about resources available to them, including two help sessions and a daily walk-in service.

I have also included some frequently asked questions at the bottom of this email to help you better serve employees.

I-9 Help Sessions

Tuesday, August 27

Coffman Memorial Union, Room 323

9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Wednesday, August 28

Coffman Memorial Union, Room 304

9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Walk-In Service

From August 28 - September 7, daily walk-in support is available in Room 545 West Bank Office Building (WBOB) from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Please note individual I-9 appointments will not be scheduled during that time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How long will it take to fill out the I-9 paperwork?

A1: Typically, it takes 15-20 minutes to complete the I-9 paperwork and online form.

Q2:  After an employee is hired, what's the deadline for completing the I-9 paperwork?

A2: The online I-9 form must be completed within the first three days of employment. Review the start date of your Foreign National employee(s) and remind them about the three-day rule.

Q3: Who should attend the I-9 Help Sessions?

A3:  All new Foreign National employees with fall term appointments should come to an I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union (on or after their hire date) to complete the I-9 form. If they can't attend the Coffman Union sessions, walk-in service is available in 545 WBOB, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

All Foreign National non-service fellows (company UNS) should not come to the I-9 Help Session since they do not need to complete the I-9 form.

Q4: What should be done before the Foreign National employee comes to I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union or visits WBOB?

A4: Each Foreign National employee needs to do the following:

·         Visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) before starting work.

·         Apply for a Social Security Number at the Social Security Administration.

·         Upon receiving a Social Security Number, complete section one of the I-9 form online at http://www.newi9.com/.  They should enter the employer code 13636.

·         Review the information available at http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/toolkit/hiring/i9faq/index.html#foreign.

Q5: What documents should the Foreign National employees bring to I-9 Help Session at Coffman Union or the walk-in service at WBOB?

A5: The Foreign National employee should bring:

·         Valid passport

·         Printed I-94 document from Homeland Security Website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov

·         Employment authorization documentation - all pages (I-20, DS2019, I797)

·         Employment authorization card (If holder has F1T Visa).

·         Social Security card or receipt from Social Security Administration

·         Department location

·         Department contact name and phone number

·         Employment start date

If you or your employees have additional questions, please contact the OHR Call Center at 612-624-8647 or 1-800-756-2363.

This page contains a single entry by Cassandra Cockburn published on September 4, 2013 3:00 PM.

Reminder for New Employees was the previous entry in this blog.

Fall Appointments and Class Lists is the next entry in this blog.

Weekly Archives