Recently in CLA News Category

Moving forward with the printer security transition, we will now categorize buildings for the following week as "confirmed" or "tentative." This change gives technicians the appropriate time to address issues that arise while managing expectations of those affected by the transition.

During the week of 3/30, the following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data.

The confirmed buildings are:

• Jones

• Regis (East and West)

• Rarig

• STSS

The tentative buildings are:

• Andersen Library

• Anderson Hall

• Blegen

If technicians do not complete transitions for "tentative" buildings within the week, they will be rescheduled. The specific day and time of outages will be shared directly with affected units. The goal is for no printer to be down for more than four hours.

UMN's 1-Help and CLA's relationship managers will assist those with any questions.

Thank you for your understanding as we work to keep data safe.

The printer security transition is underway. During the week of 3/23, the following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data.

The affected buildings are as follows:

• Appleby

• Barbara Barker Center for Dance

• Jones

• Nicholson

• Rarig

• Regis (East and West)

• Ted Mann

The specific day and time of outage will be shared directly with affected units. The goal is for no printer to be down for more than four hours.

Upgrade Go-Live Date: April 20. CLA Fair Planned.

During the first week of February, the central Upgrade team announced the revised timeline for transition and what processes will be affected.

The systems interruption, or cutover period, when PeopleSoft and related systems are unavailable or view-only, is expected to begin on April 10th and last approximately 10 days with the system going live Monday, April 20.

Here are ways to get ready:    

In addition to the central Upgrade Fair, CLA will have its own hands-on workshop to address college-specific changes. More details to come later this month.

Security Upgrade Plan Affects ALL CLA Printers

In UMN's continuing effort to protect private data, all printers on campus are undergoing a security review and update. As part of the project, each of the 400 printers in CLA will rotate going offline for an anticipated 2 hr window by the end of February so that the ports can be secured by technicians. Departments will be notified of their scheduled offline time at least three days in advance.

To create a consistent and easy-to-inventory database, each printer will also be given a new naming convention with the following components: college, building, room, printer model. For example, a CLA-OIT printer in Anderson Hall will now be CLA-AndH-110-HP4700c.

In cases where there are more than one printer in a room, they will be designated "a" or "b" at the end of the name.

Printers must be reconnected once the update is complete. Directions on how to reconnect printers will be included in future communications as well as a list of old and new printer names to ease the transition. UMN's 1-Help and CLA's relationship managers will assist those who do not feel comfortable reconnecting their printers following the guide.

All communications will be shared with both department admins and chairs to distribute to faculty and staff as they deem necessary.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Sean Burns

Sean Burns_Cropped.jpg

Name: Sean Burns

When did you start working at the U? MLK Day, 1992

Current position? Relationship Manager for CLA-OIT

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? With the timid I've found that their most common concern is they will break the software or hardware. If I can help allay those fears then they usually make progress using their technology.

What do you do for fun? I ride my bicycle. I've been riding year-round since March of 1996--I very rarely get cold for cycling generates a lot of heat. Since September of 1996 I've ridden more than 73,000 miles. Among my cycling peers this is a relatively low figure.

What was your worst or most unusual job? I cleaned my uncle's calf barn using a small Ford tractor and a blade. It hadn't been mucked out in three years so the manure was 5-feet deep at its deepest. It took about 45 hours. The ammonia smell was nearly over-powering.

Favorites:

Favorite book/author and do you prefer paper or e-book? Currently, Catch-22, but it changes. As for books/e-books, sadly, I prefer my second generation Kindle. I have an attachment to books but the Kindle is a lot easier on my eyes. I've rid myself of most of my standard-sized books by placing them on the ground-floor of Johnston Hall with a post-it attached reading "free to good home". I've kept the large-format ones with lots of illustrations.

Favorite word and word that annoys you? Onomatopoeia is my favorite. I am going to remain reticent about my annoying word--trust me, we are all better off.

Favorite brand? Ibex. If you want to make Minnesota winters easier then buy some. To avoid sticker shock I suggest checking out their closeouts and sales. Wool is expensive.

Favorite food and drink? I don't eat Pho often enough. I like most Belgian beers I've sampled.

Favorite TV show and movie? Favorite movie is The Belly of an Architect. It's a typically uplifting Greenaway flick. Despite all the wonderful television currently available I'm sticking with old reliable Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Favorite musician or band? Hüsker Dü. What can I say, looking at this along with my movie and TV series it is clear, I'm a dinosaur.

Finish the sentence:

People may be surprised to know: I was a national merit scholar.

If I could do it all over again, I would: have done study abroad.

Before I die, I would like to: go to Belgium for the post-Christmas cyclocross races.

Now Free for UMN Departments: Acrobat Pro 11

Adobe's Acrobat Pro 11 is now available at no cost to UMN departments. Acrobat is used to convert any document to a PDF or convert a PDF into other formats, edit PDFs, merge multiple documents in a single PDF, and create fillable and web forms.

Available for installation on University-owned computers, the change provides significant savings for the University since Acrobat currently costs $61-$75 for a single license purchased through Technology Products vendors, and $450 for a full license if ordered directly from Adobe.
Installation questions can be directed to
1-HELP.

Adobe Creative Suite Delivery and Fee Changes

Effective February 27, Adobe Creative is discontinuing all Adobe Creative Suite 6 TLP and CLP licensing programs.

What it means for departments:

• Depts can continue to use their current CS6 programs

• Future updates will require a transition to the Adobe Creative Cloud

• Through the new program, CS6 lives online

• Users pay an ongoing fee, rather than a one-time license fee

All other Adobe products available under volume licensing, like Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Captivate, will be unaffected by this change.

If preferred, depts may still buy individual copies of CS6 on adobe.com; however, education pricing ends 2/26 and the program has not been updated for three years.

As with any change, you're likely to have questions. For answers, contact visit Adobe's resource page or contact your Relationship Manager.

Now Accepting Academic Innovation Grant Applications

The Academic Innovation Committee is now accepting applications for the 2015-2016 Academic Innovation Grants Program. The program exists to facilitate faculty and department innovation in teaching and learning through the application of the latest in instructional technology.

Faculty and instructors submit proposals that are reviewed by the Academic Innovation Committee in spring semester. Download the packet of information and submit a proposal online.

Proposals for a single round of funding are open to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions can be directed to Sarah Knoblauch at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.

INFRASTRUCTURE FOR LEARNING

For equipment upgrades or recurring funding, the Infrastructure for Learning Program supports the long-term evolution and maintenance of the inventory of instructional infrastructure in CLA. This program option is intended to utilize strategic planning with regard to your departmental technology equipment.

Department Chairs submit a single plan for their department for the following year that is reviewed by the Infrastructure for Learning Committee, made up of technology and space professionals from departments across CLA and OIT, in the spring semester. This committee maintains inventory and reviews department plans for upgrades and new facilities.

Proposal submission is open to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions can be directed to Christopher Stordalen at cla-acadtech@umn.edu. Applicants are encouraged to work with their relationship managers in completing the plan documentation and submitting a proposal.

Good Luck!

Upgrade Portal Preview

CLA Admins are invited to participate in a User Review session on Monday, February 2. The session will provide an opportunity to try out the new system by completing common daily tasks in a test environment and learn new functions, including:

• Advisor Center and Reporting Center
  • Portal navigation
  • Accessing grading, class lists, permission numbers
  • Registration: change enrollment appointments, waitlist process and 13-credit exemption process
  • Probation/suspension (academic standing)
  • Student records processing: program plan, transcript, service indicators, milestones, student groups, enrollment verification

User Review sessions will be available on the West Bank, East Bank, and St. Paul campus on February 2 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Since space is limited, you must RSVP prior to attending the session to ensure seating.

To RSVP, simply add your name to session.

If you have previously attended a User Acceptance Testing (UAT) session, we ask that you do not attend the User Review sessions, as again, space is limited.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Nicholas Leeman

Nicholas Leeman.jpg

Name: Nicholas Leeman

When did you start working at the U? October 2011

Where can we find you online? @TheMadjai
(My tweets are my own, do not necessarily reflect the views of the college or university, etc. etc.)

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? That's why you have us! The college has the complete spectrum of tech savviness, and we are here to help every last user. We can provide all kinds of support and help, including training on how to plug in USB devices (I've done this!) as well as how to use high-end statistical software. And we do it without any judgement or guilt. We want you to be happy!

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? Can you help? I think mobile computing is going to continue on the huge trajectory it's on right now. Laptops are eventually going to fade away, giving room to tablets and better and better phones. More and more powerful tech is getting ever smaller, and I think that we're on the cusp of everyone having a single device that does everything. Personally, I'm going to be first in line for the implantable tech. I can't wait.

What do you do for fun? Going to Twins games with my wife is one of my favorite summertime activities. I'm also an avid gamer. Playing board games with my friends is how I often spend my weekends.

I'm happiest when: I'm acting. I've been acting professionally in the Twin Cities for the last 9 years now, working for companies such as Park Square, Theatre in the Round, 20% Theatre Company, and Walking Shadow. I also have been a company member of the ComedySportz Improv Troupe in Uptown since 2005. Performing improvisational comedy for an all-ages audience keeps you on your toes like nothing else I've ever done.

Pet peeves: Terrible grammar and redundant acronyms. ATM Machine, PIN Number and CPU Unit are guaranteed to set my teeth on edge. Also, people who use the term "literally" when they mean "figuratively." Bugs me to no end.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the CLA News category.

CLA Dean's Office is the previous category.

CLA NOW Forum is the next category.

Weekly Archives