Recently in CLA NOW Forum Category

New Questions Answered in UNgrade Q & A Sheet

In its first week in service, colleagues asked and answered two questions in the UNgrade Q & A sheet.

Visit the document to add your own questions and find out:

1. Where you can add the Fac URL link in CCS.
2. How faculty/instructors can edit class info details themselves.

This is a good start and has the opportunity to grow with your questions and insights. Please take a moment and visit the document now.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

UNgrade Tips, Tricks, and Advice

As mentioned in last week's CLA NOW meeting, we created an UNgrade Tips, Tricks, and Advice sheet available for all CLA NOW members and other CLA staff to utilize as a forum where people can ask questions about the Upgrade and fellow users can answer them. 

This platform allows for a quick turnaround for answers if everyone checks it regularly. If you feel comfortable with the Upgrade, please remain engaged as your  knowledge can benefit your colleagues and the college.

Answered questions will be archived on a separate tab after a few weeks. Should a question arise that the community does not know the answer, we will work with the central Upgrade team to find it. Larger or commons issues may also be highlighted in future CLA NOW sessions as needed.

Thank you in advance for your engagement and support.

Elliot and Murphy Set for Printer Transition Week of 5/4

During the week of 5/4, the following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data.

The confirmed buildings are:

• Elliot Hall

• Murphy Hall

The specific day and time of outages will be shared directly with affected units. The goal is for no printer to be down for more than four hours.

West Bank buildings taking longer than expected. Admins will be contacted directly to discuss plans for their buildings.

UMN's 1-Help and CLA's relationship managers will assist those with any questions.

Thank you for your understanding as we work to keep data safe.

End-of-Semester In-House Moodle Help

Need help with your Moodle Gradebook?  Or need other Moodle support to help wrap up the semester?  The CLA-OIT team will visit various buildings during the last week of classes (5/4 - 5/8) to help with your end-of-semester Moodle needs.  

Come find us at a location near you:

Monday, May 4th - Social Sciences Rm 710

Tuesday, May 5th - Folwell Hall Rm 420

Wednesday, May 6th - Heller Hall Rm 460

Thursday, May 7th- Scott Hall Rm 103

Friday, May 8th - Ford Hall Rm 155

No appointment necessary. Just stop by anytime between 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. each day.

We're here to help and look forward to seeing you!

CLA Upgrade Event is Tomorrow (4/9)

As you finish training in preparation for the Upgrade, please remember to join us at tomorrow's CLA Upgrade event from 9 -11 a.m. inAnderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast of bagels and fruit will be provided, so please RSVP.

The fair is designed to promote conversation where both college-level and department-level staff can engage in questions and answers, ideas for adapting to the changes, and highlighting further needs about:

- Appointment entry and intersections
- Faculty readiness
- IT
- My wallet
- Payroll and time and absence
- Recruiting solutions, position management
- Reporting
- Student: advising and student services, registration, enrollment
- Student: curriculum, class scheduling

This event is open to all CLA administrative staff in both department and college roles and anyone who works in PeopleSoft. Feel free to invite appropriate team members.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Ann Fandrey

Ann Fandrey_APPROVED.jpgName: Ann Fandrey

When did you start working at the U? January 2002

Current position? Educational Technologies Specialist

What brought you to your current job? Prior to applying to an instructional design position in CLA, I'd been working in the Medical School for 12 years. I wanted a different view of the University and some experience doing instructional design outside the context of a professional school.

What is your favorite aspect of your job? I love the intellectual challenge, curiosity, creativity and enthusiasm of the TEL team and other staff in CLA-OIT.

What excites you about working at the U/CLA-OIT? CLA-OIT is uniquely positioned to be a technology and innovation partner to the CLA; I can't wait to see what interesting and impactful initiatives we're working on a year from now!

What is your favorite accomplishment with CLA-OIT, so far? I really loved working on the pilot curriculum for the digital literacy badge initiative; TEL team designed 5 modules as part of a curriculum on digital presentation design. It was written for undergraduates, but we've heard that graduate TAs, staff and instructors are appreciating it too. It's free and open for enrollment--check it out!

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? Rather than ask, "What new technology solutions should I be using?" we can ask, "What are the current problems that I have?" and then, "Is there a technology solution that can help?" Viewing technology as a tool rather than something that needs to constantly be kept up with can reframe it in a way that is perhaps less intimidating. And, technologies can be both digital and analog.

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? My work tends toward finding ways to use current and time-tested tools in better, more strategic ways--even moreso than prematurely adopting the latest tools and newest apps. To that end, I love working with instructors on the redesign of instructional materials such as PowerPoint slides, and I'm totally back-to-basics when it comes to Moodle course sites. See the CLA's reMoodle project to learn more.

What is your favorite place on campus? Pedicord Apartments at the Weisman

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown? I was born in beautiful Red Wing, MN, and moved to Decorah, IA, to do my undergrad.

What do you do for fun? I like watching lectures on YouTube and doing makeovers of the slides. (Yes, I'm being serious.)

Motto or personal mantra: If you don't scale the mountain, you can't see the view.

Have you had a mentor while at the U and what did you learn from them? I've been lucky to have had not 1 but 3 mentors over the years. From the first, I learned that volunteering on a project is a great way to get valuable experience. From the second, I learned the importance of being pleasant and fun to work with. From the third, that the best team members are those who are willing to do whatever it takes to support a group's efforts and goals. I hope I can pay it forward on mentorship; my mentors have helped me become a better team member and a better person.

RSVP Request for April 9's CLA's Upgrade Fair

Just a reminder that the CLA Upgrade event is next week on Thursday, April 9 from 9 - 11 a.m. in Anderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces the April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast will be provided, so please RSVP.

CLA advance team members and several departmental administrators are working together to determine the best CLA specific business practices and will be available for discussions regarding the following areas:

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Recruiting solutions, position management

• Reporting

• Student: advising and student services, registration, enrollment

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

For the fair to be a success, please ensure you have taken all applicable Upgrade trainings available for your position as general Upgrade questions will not be addressed during this event. All staff are encouraged to also attend the general Upgrade Fair on April 15 in Coffman for answer to questions not specific to CLA.

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Reporting

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

CLA Upgrade Event Set for Thursday, April 9

The CLA Upgrade event is scheduled for Thursday, April 9 from 9 - 11 a.m. in Anderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces the April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast will be provided, so please RSVP.

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Reporting

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

The printer security transition previously scheduled for Tuesday, March 10 and Thursday, March 12 in Fraser, Nolte, Shevlin, and STSS has been postponed by one week.

Those departmental printers scheduled for review and update on Tuesday, March 10th will be addressed on Tuesday, March 17th and those scheduled for Thursday, March 12th will be addressed on Thursday, March 19th.

The goal is for no printer to be down for more than four hours. CLA is the pilot college for the printer security transition and the decision to postpone the efforts in Fraser, Nolte, Shevlin, and STSS by one week was made to allow technicians to resolve network issues and ensure as little interruption as possible for faculty and staff on the day of the transition. 

This page is an archive of recent entries in the CLA NOW Forum category.

CLA News is the previous category.

CLA NOW Meeting is the next category.

Weekly Archives