Recently in CLA NOW Forum Category

CLA Upgrade Event is Tomorrow (4/9)

As you finish training in preparation for the Upgrade, please remember to join us at tomorrow's CLA Upgrade event from 9 -11 a.m. inAnderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast of bagels and fruit will be provided, so please RSVP.

The fair is designed to promote conversation where both college-level and department-level staff can engage in questions and answers, ideas for adapting to the changes, and highlighting further needs about:

- Appointment entry and intersections
- Faculty readiness
- IT
- My wallet
- Payroll and time and absence
- Recruiting solutions, position management
- Reporting
- Student: advising and student services, registration, enrollment
- Student: curriculum, class scheduling

This event is open to all CLA administrative staff in both department and college roles and anyone who works in PeopleSoft. Feel free to invite appropriate team members.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Ann Fandrey

Ann Fandrey_APPROVED.jpgName: Ann Fandrey

When did you start working at the U? January 2002

Current position? Educational Technologies Specialist

What brought you to your current job? Prior to applying to an instructional design position in CLA, I'd been working in the Medical School for 12 years. I wanted a different view of the University and some experience doing instructional design outside the context of a professional school.

What is your favorite aspect of your job? I love the intellectual challenge, curiosity, creativity and enthusiasm of the TEL team and other staff in CLA-OIT.

What excites you about working at the U/CLA-OIT? CLA-OIT is uniquely positioned to be a technology and innovation partner to the CLA; I can't wait to see what interesting and impactful initiatives we're working on a year from now!

What is your favorite accomplishment with CLA-OIT, so far? I really loved working on the pilot curriculum for the digital literacy badge initiative; TEL team designed 5 modules as part of a curriculum on digital presentation design. It was written for undergraduates, but we've heard that graduate TAs, staff and instructors are appreciating it too. It's free and open for enrollment--check it out!

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? Rather than ask, "What new technology solutions should I be using?" we can ask, "What are the current problems that I have?" and then, "Is there a technology solution that can help?" Viewing technology as a tool rather than something that needs to constantly be kept up with can reframe it in a way that is perhaps less intimidating. And, technologies can be both digital and analog.

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? My work tends toward finding ways to use current and time-tested tools in better, more strategic ways--even moreso than prematurely adopting the latest tools and newest apps. To that end, I love working with instructors on the redesign of instructional materials such as PowerPoint slides, and I'm totally back-to-basics when it comes to Moodle course sites. See the CLA's reMoodle project to learn more.

What is your favorite place on campus? Pedicord Apartments at the Weisman

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown? I was born in beautiful Red Wing, MN, and moved to Decorah, IA, to do my undergrad.

What do you do for fun? I like watching lectures on YouTube and doing makeovers of the slides. (Yes, I'm being serious.)

Motto or personal mantra: If you don't scale the mountain, you can't see the view.

Have you had a mentor while at the U and what did you learn from them? I've been lucky to have had not 1 but 3 mentors over the years. From the first, I learned that volunteering on a project is a great way to get valuable experience. From the second, I learned the importance of being pleasant and fun to work with. From the third, that the best team members are those who are willing to do whatever it takes to support a group's efforts and goals. I hope I can pay it forward on mentorship; my mentors have helped me become a better team member and a better person.

RSVP Request for April 9's CLA's Upgrade Fair

Just a reminder that the CLA Upgrade event is next week on Thursday, April 9 from 9 - 11 a.m. in Anderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces the April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast will be provided, so please RSVP.

CLA advance team members and several departmental administrators are working together to determine the best CLA specific business practices and will be available for discussions regarding the following areas:

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Recruiting solutions, position management

• Reporting

• Student: advising and student services, registration, enrollment

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

For the fair to be a success, please ensure you have taken all applicable Upgrade trainings available for your position as general Upgrade questions will not be addressed during this event. All staff are encouraged to also attend the general Upgrade Fair on April 15 in Coffman for answer to questions not specific to CLA.

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Reporting

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

CLA Upgrade Event Set for Thursday, April 9

The CLA Upgrade event is scheduled for Thursday, April 9 from 9 - 11 a.m. in Anderson Hall 110 (home of CLA-OIT). This event replaces the April's CLA NOW meeting and will be a drop-in format open to staff who work in the affected areas. A light breakfast will be provided, so please RSVP.

• Appointment entry and intersections

• Faculty readiness

• IT

• My wallet

• Payroll and time and absence

• Reporting

• Student: curriculum, class scheduling

The printer security transition previously scheduled for Tuesday, March 10 and Thursday, March 12 in Fraser, Nolte, Shevlin, and STSS has been postponed by one week.

Those departmental printers scheduled for review and update on Tuesday, March 10th will be addressed on Tuesday, March 17th and those scheduled for Thursday, March 12th will be addressed on Thursday, March 19th.

The goal is for no printer to be down for more than four hours. CLA is the pilot college for the printer security transition and the decision to postpone the efforts in Fraser, Nolte, Shevlin, and STSS by one week was made to allow technicians to resolve network issues and ensure as little interruption as possible for faculty and staff on the day of the transition. 

Thank you for your understanding as we work to keep data safe.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Christopher Stordalen

Christopher.jpg

Name: Christopher Stordalen

When did you start working at the U? January 5, 2002

Current position? Assistant IT Director for Relationship Management

What excites you about working at the U/CLA-OIT? Working to support and advance the liberal arts.

What is your favorite accomplishment with CLA-OIT, so far? Beginning a successful relationship management team.

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? We all start our path to knowledge somewhere. You are not alone.

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? Paperless existence. I can help.

What is your favorite place on campus? Northrup or Ted Mann

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown? Hometown: Enderlin, ND. After leaving my hometown, I lived in Fargo, ND as I attended college and kept residence there during summers.

What do you do for fun? Perform in and lead musical and theatrical endeavors. Coach baseball. Carpentry.

What is your dream job (besides the one you have!)? Music Director for the Minnesota Orchestra.

Motto or personal mantra: You'll get enough sleep when you die. AND If not now, when? If not, me, who?

Favorites

Author: J.R.R. Tolkein

Favorite source of inspiration? I derive inspiration from music - particularly masterworks.

Favorite word or word that annoys you? Annoys: Fixins

Favorite food and drink? Steak (Ribeye). Red Wine (Merlot or Malbec) and Scotch

Favorite TV show(s)? M*A*S*H and West Wing.

Favorite musician or band? Styx (close seconds in Kansas and Boston). Sara Bareilles.

People may be surprised to know: I narrowly escaped being detained by authorities at the Grand Canyon for "exploring".

The printer security transition begins Monday, March 2. During the first week, the following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data:

Folwell Hall - Monday, March 2

Johnston Hall - Tuesday, March 3

Each unit will be contacted by email the week prior to scheduled updates.

The deadline for submissions to the Academic Innovation Grants Program and Infrastructure for Learning Program is Wednesday, March 4 at 11:59 p.m. All proposals must be received online at that time. Relationship managers are available to assist with proposals and annual departmental plans. Results will be communicated in May.

About The Grants

Academic Innovations

The Academic Innovation Grants Program exists to facilitate innovation in teaching and learning through the application of the latest in instructional technology. Faculty and instructors submit proposals that are reviewed by the Academic Innovation Committee. Download the packet of information and submit proposals online. Questions can be directed to Sarah Knoblauch at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.

Infrastructure for Learning

For equipment upgrades or recurring funding, the Infrastructure for Learning Program supports the long-term evolution and maintenance of the inventory of instructional infrastructure in CLA. This program option is intended to utilize strategic planning with regard to departmental technology equipment.

Department Chairs submit a single plan for their department for the following year that is reviewed by the Infrastructure for Learning Committee, made up of technology and space professionals from departments across CLA and OIT. This committee maintains inventory and reviews department plans for upgrades and new facilities.  

Questions and emails of interest can be directed to Christopher Stordalen at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.  Once the email of interest is received, you may contact your department's relationship manager for assistance in completing the plan documentation.

Good Luck!

DVD/CD Drive Options for Future Dell Computers

The standard configuration Dell computer used by many CLA faculty and staff has changed. All NEW Dell models will no longer have a DVD/CD drive (also known as an optical drive). This is a change at the factory level as technology needs of purchasers evolve.

Faculty and staff who use DVD/CDs in their work or in a classroom have two options with their next computer purchase:

1. Submit content to CLA's DCL3 (Digital Content Library).

2. Purchase a portable external DVD/CD unit when ordering new laptop.

This change does not affect any current computers, only future CLA standard configuration Dell purchases.

Relationship managers are available to assist with questions and solutions.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the CLA NOW Forum category.

CLA News is the previous category.

CLA NOW Meeting is the next category.

Weekly Archives