Recently in CLA-OIT Category

Now Free for UMN Departments: Acrobat Pro 11

Adobe's Acrobat Pro 11 is now available at no cost to UMN departments. Acrobat is used to convert any document to a PDF or convert a PDF into other formats, edit PDFs, merge multiple documents in a single PDF, and create fillable and web forms.

Available for installation on University-owned computers, the change provides significant savings for the University since Acrobat currently costs $61-$75 for a single license purchased through Technology Products vendors, and $450 for a full license if ordered directly from Adobe.
Installation questions can be directed to
1-HELP.

Adobe Creative Suite Delivery and Fee Changes

Effective February 27, Adobe Creative is discontinuing all Adobe Creative Suite 6 TLP and CLP licensing programs.

What it means for departments:

• Depts can continue to use their current CS6 programs

• Future updates will require a transition to the Adobe Creative Cloud

• Through the new program, CS6 lives online

• Users pay an ongoing fee, rather than a one-time license fee

All other Adobe products available under volume licensing, like Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Captivate, will be unaffected by this change.

If preferred, depts may still buy individual copies of CS6 on adobe.com; however, education pricing ends 2/26 and the program has not been updated for three years.

As with any change, you're likely to have questions. For answers, contact visit Adobe's resource page or contact your Relationship Manager.

Now Accepting Academic Innovation Grant Applications

The Academic Innovation Committee is now accepting applications for the 2015-2016 Academic Innovation Grants Program. The program exists to facilitate faculty and department innovation in teaching and learning through the application of the latest in instructional technology.

Faculty and instructors submit proposals that are reviewed by the Academic Innovation Committee in spring semester. Download the packet of information and submit a proposal online.

Proposals for a single round of funding are open to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions can be directed to Sarah Knoblauch at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.

INFRASTRUCTURE FOR LEARNING

For equipment upgrades or recurring funding, the Infrastructure for Learning Program supports the long-term evolution and maintenance of the inventory of instructional infrastructure in CLA. This program option is intended to utilize strategic planning with regard to your departmental technology equipment.

Department Chairs submit a single plan for their department for the following year that is reviewed by the Infrastructure for Learning Committee, made up of technology and space professionals from departments across CLA and OIT, in the spring semester. This committee maintains inventory and reviews department plans for upgrades and new facilities.

Proposal submission is open to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions can be directed to Christopher Stordalen at cla-acadtech@umn.edu. Applicants are encouraged to work with their relationship managers in completing the plan documentation and submitting a proposal.

Good Luck!

Upgrade Portal Preview

CLA Admins are invited to participate in a User Review session on Monday, February 2. The session will provide an opportunity to try out the new system by completing common daily tasks in a test environment and learn new functions, including:

• Advisor Center and Reporting Center
  • Portal navigation
  • Accessing grading, class lists, permission numbers
  • Registration: change enrollment appointments, waitlist process and 13-credit exemption process
  • Probation/suspension (academic standing)
  • Student records processing: program plan, transcript, service indicators, milestones, student groups, enrollment verification

User Review sessions will be available on the West Bank, East Bank, and St. Paul campus on February 2 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Since space is limited, you must RSVP prior to attending the session to ensure seating.

To RSVP, simply add your name to session.

If you have previously attended a User Acceptance Testing (UAT) session, we ask that you do not attend the User Review sessions, as again, space is limited.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Nicholas Leeman

Nicholas Leeman.jpg

Name: Nicholas Leeman

When did you start working at the U? October 2011

Current position? Relationship Manager for CLA-OIT

Where can we find you online? @TheMadjai
(My tweets are my own, do not necessarily reflect the views of the college or university, etc. etc.)

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? That's why you have us! The college has the complete spectrum of tech savviness, and we are here to help every last user. We can provide all kinds of support and help, including training on how to plug in USB devices (I've done this!) as well as how to use high-end statistical software. And we do it without any judgement or guilt. We want you to be happy!

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? Can you help? I think mobile computing is going to continue on the huge trajectory it's on right now. Laptops are eventually going to fade away, giving room to tablets and better and better phones. More and more powerful tech is getting ever smaller, and I think that we're on the cusp of everyone having a single device that does everything. Personally, I'm going to be first in line for the implantable tech. I can't wait.

What do you do for fun? Going to Twins games with my wife is one of my favorite summertime activities. I'm also an avid gamer. Playing board games with my friends is how I often spend my weekends.

I'm happiest when: I'm acting. I've been acting professionally in the Twin Cities for the last 9 years now, working for companies such as Park Square, Theatre in the Round, 20% Theatre Company, and Walking Shadow. I also have been a company member of the ComedySportz Improv Troupe in Uptown since 2005. Performing improvisational comedy for an all-ages audience keeps you on your toes like nothing else I've ever done.

Pet peeves: Terrible grammar and redundant acronyms. ATM Machine, PIN Number and CPU Unit are guaranteed to set my teeth on edge. Also, people who use the term "literally" when they mean "figuratively." Bugs me to no end.

Academic Technology Funding Program Opens 1/5/15

ACADEMIC INNOVATION GRANTS

Looking to enrich your course through technology but need funding to purchase equipment or hire a student assistant? The Academic Innovation Grants Program exists to facilitate faculty and department innovation in teaching and learning through the application of the latest in instructional technology.

Faculty and instructors submit proposals that are reviewed by the Academic Innovation Committee in spring semester. Download the packet of information and submit proposal online.

Proposals for a single round of funding are open from Monday, January 5 to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions can be directed to Sarah Knoblauch at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.

INFRASTRUCTURE FOR LEARNING

Proposal submission is open from Monday, January 5 to Wednesday, March 4, 2015 with winners announced in May. Questions and emails of interest can be directed to Christopher Stordalen at cla-acadtech@umn.edu. Once the email of interest is received, you may contact your department's relationship manager for assistance in completing the plan documentation.

Good Luck!

Get to know CLA-OIT: Holly Leighton

Holly Leighton APPROVED (1).jpg
Name: Holly Leighton

When did you start working at the U?January 2000

What is your favorite aspect of your job? Meeting with faculty and staff.

What excites you about working at the U/CLA-OIT? Working with faculty and staff, and seeing the "light bulb" go on when they understand a technology concept or procedure.

What is your favorite accomplishment with CLA-OIT, so far? Creating the first bonafide Service Desk with Kevin Smith in 2006. That was a BLAST!

What do you do for fun? I love to run with my dog, Max.

Favorite motto or personal mantra? Tomorrow is another day, and you get to start fresh.

Interesting facts:

• I have both a bachelor's and master's degree in French.
  • My favorite place on earth is Paris and I hope to live there one day.

Get to know CLA-OIT: John Fite

John Fite (2).JPGName: John Fite

Hometown and first place you lived after leaving home? My hometown is Huntington Beach, California and the first place I lived after leaving home was Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

When did you start working at the U? August 2012

What is your favorite aspect of your job? Meeting, working with, and learning from talented individuals across many disciplines. I hope that someday I can benefit them as much as they have me.

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? If I could go back in time and tell the twelve-year-old John Fite anything, it would be, "You can find a solution to almost any problem in a book somewhere." Technology is quickly reaching a similar position and will then surpass it in ways that we cannot predict. For most people I know, the time investment required to learn and stay current with technology is more than repaid in the leverage it gives them in solving more and more of life's problems.

What is your favorite place on campus?
Washington Avenue Bridge - Being from the West Coast, it is impressive to me that every time I walk across that bridge I'm going from Eastern to Western USA or vice-versa. I do seem to notice a cultural difference when I arrive at the other side, as well!

Favorites:

Authors: Kurt Vonnegut, Philip K. Dick, Neal Stephenson, Hunter S. Thompson, Alan Watts

Website:jamesaltucher.com

Sources of inspiration: Popular Science Books (esp. Dawkins, Brian Greene, Ray Kurzweil, Feynman, Michio Kaku, Steven Pinker, Robert Pirsig)

Favorite word: Yes

Phrase that annoys you: I'll try

Food and drink: Sashimi, red wine

TV show and movie: Twin Peaks, The Matrix

Musicians: Bach, Depeche Mode, Serge Gainsbourg, Morrissey

Favorite place: Joshua Tree National Park

Folwell Hall Revised Technology Plan

Following valuable feedback, the previously planned technology upgrade in Folwell Hall was revised to better fit the needs of faculty, staff, and students. Rather than a full upgrade, classrooms in Folwell will undergo a scaled back "refresh" that includes the following:

• Replacing video projectors with higher lumen machines
  • Replacing DVD players with newer DVD models
  • Removing all DVD/VHS combo players

Since this is a refresh and not a complete upgrade, no cameras will be added during this cycle. 

The Office of Classroom Management will oversee the project that begins during winter break and continues throughout the spring semester.

UMF Invoicing Deadline

The UMF invoicing deadline is November 15 (noon) for funds to be received in EFS by December 31, 2014. Please make any needed invoicing requests to the financial service teams prior to that date for timely processing. Our general practice is to invoice by November 15 for Fall expense and again by May 15 for Spring expense.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the CLA-OIT category.

CLA Office of External Relations is the previous category.

Fiscal Administration is the next category.

Weekly Archives