« Wheels on the bus | Main | Hip Hop Saves Lives...Kinda. »

Really? A Night Off?

I’m sitting here in the third floor study lounge of Middlebrook Hall (residence hall) with three of my friends and we’re studying. Actually they’re studying because I fortunately have a very laid back week, unlike last week.

Last week I had three midterms and two papers due. I don’t have anything due this week, so I decided to give myself a night off. I feel like rewarding me with a night away from homework is needed otherwise I would go crazy. Homework and school are extremely important to me, but sometimes a break is really all you need to give you one last little push to get you through a week, especially the week before spring break.

I am really excited for Spring Break. I do have some homework that I have to get done, but I am just excited to go back home to Oshkosh, Wisconsin for a few days and see friends that I haven’t seen for a couple of months. I think it will be fun! I don’t plan on do much besides catching up on sleep, doing some homework, watching some movies, and seeing some friends, but I don’t think I’d want it any other way. It will be relaxing.

Also with Spring Break approaching, I have come to realize that I am ¾ done with my first year as a college student. I’m not really ready to reflect on the end right now because I am having way to much fun meeting new people and getting involved with activities on campus, and I know there is much more school work to be done, but looking back on my first 23 weeks as a college student is really fun.

I remember showing up at the end of August to move into my dorm room in Middlebrook Hall on the West Bank. The University was so big back then. Honestly, I was so nervous, but who wasn’t? The first night I spent in my dorm was weird, but I realized so many people were in the same position as me, and we quickly forged bonds by planning Apples to Apples until 5 AM together and laughing together over random knock-knock jokes.

I realized early on that it was a bond that could not be broken. I don’t want to get all sappy because the year is not yet over, but I have realized within these last 23 weeks I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. The really amazing thing is that I am continuing to build friendships through classes and student groups too. This campus gets smaller by the day to me because I am meeting new people and getting more involved with student groups. It really is the key to being successful in college.

Considering I don’t really have much to do tonight, I think I’m going to start packing for break. Unlike most of my other friends, I don’t get to quite get out my flip flops and shorts yet…maybe next year.