« Spring '09: Let's Get It Started | Main | Back to School... »

First Week of Classes

I know this is a long overdue update, and for that I apologize. I have been pretty busy with the first week of classes, meeting new people and trying to keep up with the 'Irish culture and lifestyle'.

Monday: First day of modules! Today was a bit uneventful, but successful nonetheless. I had my first module (or class, as they call it in the States), and it was titled 'Talk, Interaction, and Social Organization'. I had spoken to the professor last week about the module a bit, and it seems like the material will be challenging, but nothing I can't handle. I have a strong social theory background, but no pragmatics background, so that might hurt me a little bit. We have one presentation and one exam that makes up our entire grade, so talk about pressure! It is most definitely a change from the States, but a challenge that I am ready to take on. My module is from 9:15-11:15 AM, and after that I am free the rest of the day.

Tuesday: Second day of modules! Again, today was a bit uneventful. I would normally have a seminar from 12:15-1:15 PM on Tuesday afternoons, but we don't have seminars the first week. So I waited until 3:15 PM for my Interpersonal Communication theory module to begin. This module is a first year skills module and the lecture is probably about 300 people strong. Our practicals, however, will be less than 40. This module involves a lot of hands on activities. There will be a lot of recording of ourselves, then analyzing how we said what we said and our body language, all associated with how we communicate with others. This module will be something that I have yet to experience and for that I am excited.

Wednesday: Third day of modules! Today, I had only one lecture, but I will have a seminar in the morning starting next week. This was my Modern Irish Society class. I was very intimated at first from this class, because even though I took a European History class my senior year of high school, I regret to say that almost NOTHING stuck in my head. The professor kept saying 'in last years set of modules' or 'you should know', and I didn't. I am quite nervous about the class, but excited nonetheless. I think it will help me be informed about Irish Society more completely in order to make the most of my trip.

Thursday: (Would have been the) Fourth day of modules! Today, I would normally have a practical session for my Interpersonal Communications class at 9:15, but again, no practicals or seminars the first week of class. So instead, I slept in. I had a meeting with my advisor at 12:30 PM to finalize my modules for this semester. After a huge runaround (going to 4 different places to get stamps and whatnot) and 45 minutes, I finally got registered and am an OFFICIAL STUDENT AT UUJ! I have my student id to prove it!

Friday: I don't have any class today!!! It is currently 12:30 in the afternoon, and I am leaving for my home stay in a few hours. The drive to our home stay is about 2 hours away, so my roommate and I will have a while to rest up. I have been looking forward to this home stay since I got here. I think that it will give us a great insight to how Irish people live and it will be interesting to see the differences between how they and we as Americans live.

Until next time....