« Loring Pasta Bar... | Main | CLA Commencement »

And the Scholarship Goes to... Me. Really???

So many students are apprehensive about coming straight to a University because of the high expense. However, those students fail to consider that universities often offer scholarships throughout the undergraduate experience. The hardest part is usually applying.

Last month my fellow Ambassadors Yuri Ramirez, Thomas Toley, and I were three of the thirteen people who won the 2009 SEED Award from the Office of Equity and Diversity. The Office of Equity and Diversity celebrated 13 students commitment to continuing the practice of Equity and Diversity with a breakfast banquet and allowed us to sit with many of the business that helped to support the banquets and scholarship. I felt deeply honored by the opportunity.

Unfortunately I was saddened by how many of my friends almost applied for the scholarship who needed it and did not apply. I applied last year and unfortunately I was not chosen but this year I was, so I guess the moral of my story is if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. I am so fortunate that the Office of Equity & Diversity saw potential in me, but they would not have been able to if I had not seen potential in myself.