My 21st Birthday

It's been a while folks. I apologize for the long delay in writing a new entry. It's been a hectic year since the last time I wrote to you all. I like to think that I've not only gotten older, but wiser as well. I've recently celebrated my long awaited 21st birthday! Keep reading to find out what I did to celebrate...

First off, I'd like to start by saying that I think that there's a popular conception about what your 21st birthday should be like. Let's face it, society and popular media show us that your 21st birthday should consist of a huge house party at which you are to become so intoxicated that you can't remember what happened in the morning. Pretty harsh, I think.

I actually started off my birthday with three of my closest friends. At midnight, I enjoyed a nice round of card games with them- always best when you play with the right people. Later on that day, my special someone took me out to dinner at BWWs-my fave! I'll be honest, and tell you that I had ONE drink. I ordered a strawberry margarita which I only finished half of. And I haven't had any alcohol since.

I've never been very interested in drinking, probably because I feel that there are better ways for me to spend my time and have fun. I won't lie. There will be parties and alcohol on campus. It is up to you as responsible adults to make your own choices regarding underage drinking and partying.

Here are just a few of the things that you could be doing to have fun that don't involve alcohol: taking the light rail to go shopping at the Mall of America, attending a free performance at Rarig Center in our West Bank Arts Quarter, attending an event sponsored by Gophers After Dark, bowling at Goldy's Gameroom, seeing a free movie at the St. Paul Student Center, or having dinner at one of the many restaurants that we have on and off campus. As you can see, when you attend a Big 10 university in a major metropolitan area, there's always something exciting going on. And it's never hard to find something to do that is alcohol free!

This page contains a single entry by Pa Thao published on December 31, 2009 10:37 AM.

Papers, Presentations, and "The Twitch" was the previous entry in this blog.

End of another semester... is the next entry in this blog.