Where do I go from here?

I'm going to be an event planner. There is no question about that. I just cannot decide which event planning path I want to explore: nonprofit, corporate or weddings?

I've always been the one with a plan, a mission, some sort of direction. With 2.5 semesters left of school at the University of Minnesota, it's time to start making decisions. I have been lucky enough to be well-trained in networking, so I have a lot of connections in a lot of areas. That doesn't necessarily make it easy for me to decide what I would like to do when I graduate, but that's not necessarily a bad problem to have either.

In this economy, it's great to have one option let alone many, but sometimes one option makes life easy! If I had all the money in the world, I would be a professional volunteer and donate my time to service in the community; however, I don't see that happening in my future.

After speaking with my faculty advisers and mentors, I realized I don't have to decide right now or even next year when I graduate. They all suggest I start where my heart is at the time (right now that would be nonprofit) and then move where my feet take me. Keeping in contact with all my connections is a key element to career switching. The more you network, send thank you notes and send updates to people, the better chance you have of working with these people later on. I think of networking like a symbiotic relationship. The relationship must be mutual and must benefit both parties. If you always ask for things and never offer to help the other party, then you are just a mooch! Learn ways in which you can offer your services to the person you want to network with, and there will be a natural, mutually beneficial relationship built.

So for now, who cares that I don't know what I want to do? I'll go where my passions lie in the moment.

This page contains a single entry by westx230 published on February 22, 2010 9:26 AM.

One year later... was the previous entry in this blog.

Dinner Time! is the next entry in this blog.