More than 18,000 get naked for Mexican photo shoot

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/05/06/mexico.nude.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

This story was about an artist from Brooklyn who routinely shoots nude photos of large groups of people. He has done shoots in London and Buffalo and now the biggest yet attracted 18,00 people in Mexico City. It is for art and for change the artist said. People need to be more open and understand and that is why he does this kind of art said Spencer Tunick.

The biggest thing that jumped out to me was that this was an AP story so it went through their editing then it ran on CNN.com hopefully being at least looked at by CNN's personnel and still a basic spelling error still made it on to the page they ran this "United Sates." Yikes.

Overall, it was a good story, vivid and used come good quotes from the artist. However, I think this would have been a more interesting story if they would have profiled the artist a bit. Get to u nderstand what he is doing and why. Really get a feeling for his art and his mission.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-05-06-mexico-tunick-photo_N.htm

I liked this story that ran in USAtoday better because while it was not much longer and did not really profile the artist it gave better description of what was going on for example this passage really set the scene and lets you know the ethusiasm of those involved:

"The shoot had the feel of a rock concert. Volunteers did "the wave" between poses and chanted "Mexico! Mexico!" Some participants said they drove four or five hours to participate."

7 looting suspects arrested in storm-ravaged Kansas town

A storm leveled the town of Greensburg, Kansas. But this story was about the looting that took place in the town after the terror of the storm. Four soliders and reserve police officer were arrest while looting along with two men who were not members of the Red Cross but wore Red Cross jackets. The soliders were not there to help out with the relief effort neither was the police officer.

The best quote on the page was not even about the story but about the storm itself, under a picture of the town devestated was a paraphrase but what the sentence said is not really important but the one word really described the picture. Simply a city administrator said the town was "gone." I found that to be a very powerful quote because the town was really gone, in the picture only a couple of silos were still standing.

I kind of went back and forth with the reporters use of the word "scores." He was describing how many people were injured along with those killed. While that is not very descriptive and an estimate of people was probably made he still used that vague description. How many is a score? According to definition it could be around 20 and if that is how many people were injured then it was a creative and unique way to say it, however it still is a confusing to readers how many people are going to know how many a score really is?

With the changing media landscape it is always interesting to see online news articles accompanied by video. This story had a video on the page of the destruction of the town, which allows the readers to really see what happened.

Another article on Foxnews.com talked about the arrests:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May06/0,4670,KansasTornadoesLooting,00.html

The first story I talked about was from the AP and I would bet the foxnews story was too because mostly it was the exact same story jumbled up in a different order but with the same sentences and thes same quotes. While both stories are credited to the AP they are still different. Do media outlets usually run the AP story as it was sent to them or do they normally mix up the order of the story? Or did the AP send out both these versions?

The second story flowed a little better even though they were basically the same thing. The first story mentions the soliders and then abruptly mentions the 2 red cross jacketed peopel involved, but then goes back to the soliders. The second story goes with the soliders first and once it is done talking about them moves on the Red Cross people. It is a less jarring read.

Gas prices hit record high

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/06/news/economy/gasoline/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

This report was on a survey taken on gas prices around the country. The highest recorded was in San Fransico at $3.49 the lowest was in South Carolina at $2.80. The average price of gas (with inflation included) comes close to the record, which was $1.35 at the time but with inflation would be $3.13, the average right now is $3.07.

This story was interesting and scary. As a driver the rising prices seem to have no end, they only recede for awhile then jump back up. However, this story could have been stronger by using more details. In class we talk about showing not telling, however this story was defiintely all telling. For example, the reporter used partial quotes like:

"Last month there was 'substantial evidence'...."
or
"...but a series of 'incidents' at a dozen refineries..."

What is quotable about "substantial evidence?" or "incidents" nether of these words are unique or telling, they are simple statements that could have been paraphrased with no quotes. Or an even better plan would have been to tell us what that evidence was or what the incidents were, those would have aided to the showing what happened and would have taken out partial quotes which we say should be avoided if possible.

However, I did like how the reporter added some examples of prices around the nation which gave the story a good prespective.

What's Behind High Gas Prices? NPR.org
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5365439

This story dealt with maybe a more important issue, we all know the gas prices are high, but the real question here is why? I like this article more because it tackeled an article that is more intriguing it does not take a genius to figure out the prices are high and staying high. However, I could not find mention of who was being interviewed in this story which just seems like slopy journalism.

BBC man missing for eight weeks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6631243.stm

Alan Johnston a reporter for the BBC was abducted on March 12 from Gaza City where he was permanently stationed. The 44-year-old reporter has been missing for eight weeks and no one knows how he is doing. No demands have been made by his kidnappers. Palestinian Authorities, the BBC and the UK government have all been working as hard as possible to get Johnston released but so far no progress has been made.

The thing that was most missing from this article was details. The repoter used a lot of vague statments for example:

"But the Palestinian Authority, the BBC and the UK government say that they are working as hard as possible to secure his release."

What are they doing exactly? What have they done to contact the kidnappers? Who are they calling to try to find him? What exactly is being done? I do not know if the reporter asked these questions and just could not get answers, or if the questions were just not asked. There is so much more that could be added to this story but that was not I felt like I wanted more answers and did not get them in the story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6610597.stm

This story did not have much more detail on what was being done to get Johnston released, but with the lack of that kind of information this story covered other issues surrounding the the missing man. Since they could not tell what was being done the story provided more history on the situation surrounding his abduction and the history of the area in general. While The questions I posed before were not answered this story did provide that they heard Johnston was still alive. Also, I feel I got answers to the why it happened and who the man was in this story.

Overall, the second story was better because it answered more questions and went more in depth. I felt more satisfied by this story and I feel that the reporter for the second story did more work to get the story written.

Dubai's palm island hit by blaze

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6630805.stm

A fire broke out on an island in Dubai. The island is man-made and shaped like a palm tree, and is suppose to be a huge tourism spot. No one was killed in this fire, but one man was hospitalized and two more workers were treated for smoke inhalation on the site. In January another fire broke out that killed four men and start discussion about improving the safety of the constructions sites.

This article seemed a bit short. For me there seemed like there was a lot more information that the reporter could have told us about the island itself and the previous fire. Other than that I thought the article was handled pretty well, it provided the basics and covered what happened.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1095133

I found this article much more descriptive, it really showed what had happen on the island and gave good visuals. Also, it provided more information about the casualties of the first fire, not only four people died but 57 others were injured the first article did not mention that. It also explained a little bit of Dubai's struggle to become a bigger nation and add some more tourism to it economy. This article was very brief like the first one, I would have liked more bredth.

Overall, I thought the second article better because I felt I learned more about the situation in that article then I did in the first article.

Journalism

Both my grandparents were journlists for the Grand Rapids Herald, which died with a lot of afternoon papers. My grandpa was the sports editor and we have pictures of him with Rocky Marciano. But was impressed me most was my Grandmother, she worked in a time when a lot of women were back at home. Eventhough I never really met my grandmother, or have no memories of her anyways, I have always been impressed with the kind of woman she was. For most of her life she raised 5 kids on here own, the youngest being only one when her husband died. Writing is a way a can feel close to both of my Dad's parents eventhough I never really knew them.

I've also been inspired by Hunter S. Thompson, and I know he is not a role model to follow especially in new writing, but what I love about him is he was out there crazy and found a place for his writing. It inspires me that there is a place out there for almost any kind of writing.

My final inspiration is sports. Up until I was 12-years-old I thought I was going to do for women what Jackie Robinson did for black men, I wanted to be the first female professional baseball player. Then I realized I'm not that good at, surprise surprise. But ever since then writing sports journalism has interested me, or even maybe broadcasting hockey games. I like the idea of writing sports because I'm passionate about sports and I think there is a lot of interesting stories out there to be writen.

Overall, I want to write for magazines. Someday I would like to be able to freelance. I think Magazines give a more creative outlet for writers. I also have some interest in putting together the story of my aunt (even if it i just for my family as christmas presents) because she was a very powerful and amazing women who died far too young.

Tech gunman shot victims over 100 times

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VIRGINIA_TECH_INVESTIGATION?SITE=SCCHA&SECTION=EUROPE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-04-22-20-27-00

This story is another story about the Virginia Tech Shootings and what is left behind. It is mostly about evidence trying to figure out what happened and why it happened. The main focus was that Cho killed 32 people using 100 shots and many of them were shot many many times. It also discussed why Cho did it speculated mental illness or possibly drugs but they have not gotten the blood tests back yet. The final part discusses the fact that the police have not hard evidence connected Cho two the first two victims they found later victims matched the Cho used but the first two have not solid connection.

The most interesting thing I thought in this article was that they used an anonymous source quoting him as "an official close the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity because the probe is on going, that source said "Authorities had to return to the victims' dorm rooms and homes to collect fingerprints so they could make identifications." Its an interesting deal because they could identify them, and its a better way of saying they could not identify some victims. Also, it serves as a less gruesome way to illustrate how destroyed some of the bodies were. I also found it interesting how describes in length why the source was anonymous, but he didn't reallysay anything telling could the reporter have not found someone else who could go on the record saying they had to collect finger prints to identify bodies?

Here is another story talking about the shootings
San Jose Mercury news "33 dead, 15 hurt in gunman's rampage at Virginia Tech"
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_5679241

The story from the San Jose paper went into much greater detail about what happened even though they are located much further away from Virigina than the first story out of the South Carolina paper. The San Jose story had student accounts and spoke with victims and witnesses and put a face on the story. Really the stories served different purposes the first story is more removed from the actually incident and is discussing the legal aspects and trying to figure out why and how this happened.

Sex offender denies rape in 'dungeon' case

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/22/dungeon.trial.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

This article was about Kenneth Hinnson who was suspected of raping two 17-year-old girls in a small cellar he built. Hinnson is claiming he did not rape them and the sex was consensual and thats all that happened. He says he was hiding from the cops for four days because he thought they wanted him on a drug charge because he built the cellar in order to keep marijuana in. On the night the girls said they were there he had four pounds of marijuana down in teh cellar. The girls are accusing him of kidnapping them out of their bedroom while they were sleeping and dragging them into the cellar and raping them.

A couple small things I noticed and are things you talk about in media ethics class and have touched on in our class is using the middle name when identifying the suspect. You definitely don't want to miss identifying someone you are charging with raping two girls and previously raping a 12-year-old girl. The second thing I noticed was they did not name the victims but they did mention that they were surpressing the names because of the associated presses ethics, nothing printing the names. This is a tough story because of the case involved and the victims, the reporter tried to give a back and fourth of the accusers (and council) and the accused, but some fo the comments he used and the information he added leans the article to assuming guilt. He chose to use a quote from opposing council, a very intriguing quote, timplies strongly Hinnson is lying but they don't use a strong quote from the defense. The reporter also writes about a witness and then explains how the witness is actually a convicted felon and was buying drugs when he overheard information, which is information that has to be used but the manner in which it is used is very skeptical.

The Washington Post's Coverage of the story: "S.C. Rape Suspect Brags About Dungeon"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/17/AR2007041701940.html

The first story is misleading, kind of. It ends with the judge setting him free but that was really after his served time for his first offense which was the rape of a 12-year-old girl.

Here is how the first story dealt with his history as an offender:

"Hinson was convicted in 1991 for the rape of a 12-year-old girl.

Two review committees recommended Hinson be committed to a state program for sexually violent predators after serving a nine-year prison sentence, warning he could commit a future sex crime. However, a judge rejected the plan and set Hinson free."

However, there is no mention of this first offense until right here following other talk about his current trial. So when they talk about the review committees and the setting free there are talking about that second offense but it is not clear. The first time I read it I thought they meant he was set free for this offense.

The Washington Post story makes it much more clear. They are discussing his background case its not mixed with talk about about the current case here is their version:

"The case attracted national attention when McMaster said during a four-day manhunt that Hinson _ convicted in 1991 for the rape of a 12-year-old girl _ could have been indefinitely committed to a state program for sexually violent predators after serving a nine-year prison sentence. Two review committees had recommended that Hinson be placed in the program, warning he could commit a future sex crime."

Brief and clear, it doesn't take a second read to understand what is going on.

The Post story also used the quote more effectively not using them in an incriminating way. Hinson is quoted saying : "I was very proud of it," he was talking about his cellar that he constructed. The quote works because it does not assume guilt and it is a simple thing that the defendant said.

I preferred the Post article because it was much more clear to me what was going on and the sequence of events. I also thought they covered in fairly. While the first story was not biased I felt it leaned slightly to assuming guilt on the part of the suspect.

Nigerian candidates Rejects Poll

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6581993.stm

This article is about elections in Nigeria. For the first time they are having an election to replace an previously elected official. However, there are complaints that the elections were rigged and they were coupled with a lot of violence is Africa's most populace nation. Twenty-four different candidates were looking to replace the president of Nigeria. One student in Nigeria was quoted as saying, "the more thugs you have the more votes you get." Amongst all the violence people did think this election was more sucessful then the previous state election a few weeks ago, but they did not go into what that success wwas.

I thought this article was a little disjointed, it had to main parts the first kind of overviewed what was happening, the violence the elections and candidates. Then the second half went into more detail about specific violence incidents.
First part a broad overview of the situation, the violence the election everything. While is seemed like two separate articles I did like that they really showed what happened instead of just telling us it was violent, when I was reading the first half I kept thinking okay it was violent but what happened. Also, it seemed weird that there was no discussion of any causalties, with that much violence someone must have gotten hurt. Finally the ending to the article seemed out of place, its this long article about elections and violence then suddenly it is mentioned that Nigeria has a lot of oil. Its tacked on at the end with three lines and does not really relate to the story, outside of the fact that oil has been a big issue in a lot of the violence in the area.

Al Jazeera's coverage of the story
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/5A13F14E-442C-4581-B0F3-46AAA357C4BA.htm

From the minute this version of the story opens you get an idea of what happened exactly they get right to the casualties in their lead which I think is important because that's a question everyone is going to ask did people get hurt? This was their lead:

Violence has left at least 14 dead in Nigeria's south as Nigerians go to the polls to choose state governors in the first of two elections intended to solidify civilian rule.

Also, the Al Jazeer coverage was more indepth it gave a background on the area and what had been going on, I know I'm not up with Nigerian politics so I had no idea waht the history was reading the first story. They also show that this is not a random incident and that violence has been ongoing in the area.

In my opinion Al Jazeer's story was better because it was more detailed and the way it was written it kept my interest easier, there was more information included and more specifics.

School Closing

The Minneapolis school district is having a hard time supporting all their schools and one school that might be closing is Tuttle Elementary on 18th ave. off of Como Ave. What does this school closing mean to the community? To the children that attend Tuttle? Where will the end up being bussed to for school? How with the neighborhood fair once the school is gone and a big empty structure of a school stares out at its neighbors? Will anything be done with the building or will it just stand empty? Some concerned neighbors fear that all the closures and lost of funding to Como Southeast Minneapolis neighborhood with cause this area of the city to become like Flint, Mich. A beaten down poverty sticken place.

Tuttle Elementary(612) 668-1210

Both live in the Como Ave. Area within blocks of the schoool
Joel Russell (612)331-2322
Carly Guy (612)875-7653

Alcohol-related traffic deaths jump in 2005

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1035920.html

I found this story on the Star Tribune's website. I was immediately interested because I have had a couple friend who recently got DWIs. The topic of the story is very ineteresting and probably grabs the attention of readers curious to the stats. However, the story has no personality. There are numbers and statistics in almost every paragraph and there are no people. Besides getting pulled over how is the rest of the world being affected? Why should I read the story I don't drink and drive... However, I enjoyed the Tribune's story much more than the one ran by the Pioneer Press:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/16844614.htm

This version of the story barely had any writing in it. There are Three paragraphs and then a list of the rest of the findings. It almost looks like no work went into the story. Both stories could use a little more umph I'd say but then again I see where that would be hard to do in a story about drunk driving and its consequences.

Home-delivered body parts probably for education

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-35/1172994334201940.xml?grpress?NEG&coll=6

This story is out of the paper from my hometown Grand Rapids, Mich. The paper itself isn't anythign special but it's a big enough paper. Anyways I chose this story because on our scale of what is newsworthy this defintiely fits into the Unusual category. I liked this story because it seems like a story that is bound to be overplayed and sensationalized, I mean come on, human body parts arriving at your door, part of a head? You don't even have to try to sensationalize this to make it sensational. However the GR Press reporter did a good job of just sharing the facts and not driving for interest, the story is already interesting there is no need to horrify the reader.

The BBC News also covered this story in my little hometown (okay it is the second biggest city in Michigan and is much prettier than Detroit):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6416459.stm

"He started the second one, but stopped as soon as we saw the ear," she told the Grand Rapids Press newspaper.

The BBC story was a little more exciting. The quote above isn't really sensational but it is a good because it is in her own words and it is just a bizarre thing to have to say. This quote was attributed to a GR Press reporter but not in the Press' story? That seems odd, however my guess is there were more stories about this in the GR paper so I would hope it made it in somewhere, how could you not use such an unusual quote?

Also, the BBC story jumps off the page a bit more than the Press' story, which isn't too surprising to someone who read the GR Press for most of their lives, most of their stories leave something to be desired.

Stocks cut opening losses

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/markets/markets_0945/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

I found this article to be a bit jargony. I realize that most people stumbling upont the CNN Money section probably know about the Stock Market and all the abbreviations they use but what about the ordinary vistor? The story is hard to understand because its numbers and jargon. Maybe I should know what S&P 500 is but I wouldn't be able to understand this without going else where to find meaning. The story itself does not seem helpful to a reader is seems like it could be more effort to figure out what is going on in the story and most readers who don't know about stocks wouldn't read it.

Another story I found disscuss this same dip in the stock market, but it grabs the reader a little more and breaks down what is going on.

http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/archive.html?wire=D8NK7PF02.html

tenuous stock market saga overshadowed tightening gasoline supplies

The writer here is adding a little more pep to the story I like the idea, although this sentence seems kind of ominious, is it really a saga? But I still like the effort to pumped a little life into a story about numbers which for me is dull and I'm sure gets dull for other readers as well. This second story strays away from the jargon more but it still has too many numbers, I guess that is the territory with stock market stories.

Journalists: U.S. military deleted photos of attack

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/03/04/afghan.photos.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

This story was interesting because its an instance where the U.S. Military, while they are fighting for freedom in these countries, takes away the freedom of the people. American photographers were allowed to pictures left and right but when some countrymen come up to get some photos (working for the AP) they are not allowed and their footage is deleted. Sadly, I searched for other versions of this story but everyone was just printing the AP version and not adding anything new or independent. Also, I am surprised not to see this story covered elsewhere I found one other story that made mention of it but not extensively.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/terror/20070304-1209-afghan-violence.html

Mid way down in the story they breeze past it but it the entire story gives you more context to what is going on over there. Neither story had strong Military comment about the situation. The only man willing to comment said he had not had any official reports of photos being deleted. CNN also had a additional story which was purely about the suicide bombing to add context:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/03/04/afghan.violence/index.html

This one seems more of a media ethics case, or a military ethics case that is. Freedom of the press is one of the institutions that helps keep the military and government in check and how can they do that when their points of view are being squashed because the U.S. Military wants to keep a story quiet?

In need of a roommate?

One of the trials college students go through during they college life is trying to find the right person to live with. Personally I've gone though 5 roommates, two were tolerable. During the beginning of fall semester and towards the end of the spring it is pretty easy to find someone to live with you if you need it. But if something happens mid year and a roommate moves out how do you fill that void? When none of your friends can move in where do you go looking for that person to split the rent with you?

University of Minnesota Off-Campus Housing Fair
Contact: housing@umn.edu

Craigslist.org

Kelly Tomek, a U student looking to sublet her place, 612-776-0057