« School Closing | Main | Sex offender denies rape in 'dungeon' case »

Nigerian candidates Rejects Poll

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6581993.stm

This article is about elections in Nigeria. For the first time they are having an election to replace an previously elected official. However, there are complaints that the elections were rigged and they were coupled with a lot of violence is Africa's most populace nation. Twenty-four different candidates were looking to replace the president of Nigeria. One student in Nigeria was quoted as saying, "the more thugs you have the more votes you get." Amongst all the violence people did think this election was more sucessful then the previous state election a few weeks ago, but they did not go into what that success wwas.

I thought this article was a little disjointed, it had to main parts the first kind of overviewed what was happening, the violence the elections and candidates. Then the second half went into more detail about specific violence incidents.
First part a broad overview of the situation, the violence the election everything. While is seemed like two separate articles I did like that they really showed what happened instead of just telling us it was violent, when I was reading the first half I kept thinking okay it was violent but what happened. Also, it seemed weird that there was no discussion of any causalties, with that much violence someone must have gotten hurt. Finally the ending to the article seemed out of place, its this long article about elections and violence then suddenly it is mentioned that Nigeria has a lot of oil. Its tacked on at the end with three lines and does not really relate to the story, outside of the fact that oil has been a big issue in a lot of the violence in the area.

Al Jazeera's coverage of the story
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/5A13F14E-442C-4581-B0F3-46AAA357C4BA.htm

From the minute this version of the story opens you get an idea of what happened exactly they get right to the casualties in their lead which I think is important because that's a question everyone is going to ask did people get hurt? This was their lead:

Violence has left at least 14 dead in Nigeria's south as Nigerians go to the polls to choose state governors in the first of two elections intended to solidify civilian rule.

Also, the Al Jazeer coverage was more indepth it gave a background on the area and what had been going on, I know I'm not up with Nigerian politics so I had no idea waht the history was reading the first story. They also show that this is not a random incident and that violence has been ongoing in the area.

In my opinion Al Jazeer's story was better because it was more detailed and the way it was written it kept my interest easier, there was more information included and more specifics.