done done done

Just put the finishing touches on my McNeal drawing...it was getting to the point where every time I tried to "fix" something it just got worse. I guess I don't feel finished because after spending so much time on the drawing its become an obsession, and I have gotten really good at finding its flaws! But like I said I think any revisions are only making it worse at this point. Hope no one is staying up too late...or all night to get all our assignments done. Good luck and I can't wait to turn in my massive stack of drawings from this semester tomorrow!

Damn McNeal

I was in McNeal last night from about 9:30 to 5:30 this morning, drawing my heart out. And I'm no where near finished! I'm staying optimistic, since discouragement impedes progress, but nonetheless, it can get a little disheartening. I have yet to fully shade some areas and I have yet to add texture as well. Hopefully it won't be a very long night. While I was drawing, I would see people occasionally come to get water or use the bathroom. It made me feel better, gave me a sense of solidarity, knowing that there are a handful of others just like me, like us, who are up late late late getting this stuff done. Somehow it made the entire progress easier.

A very random side note: Are any ladies in our class interested in being a sixth roommate? My friends and I found and incredibly beautiful, hip house in great condition and we want to share it with another lady! Talk to me if you're perhaps interested; otherwise, Craigslist, here I come. No killers, serious inquiries only.

homestretch

So I really just wanted to finish the McNeal drawing, so I stayed up late last Tuesday night and finished it. It felt so good to be done with it. Now I just need to complete my assignment 5 drawing which I am struggling with because I have to portray myself in a way that does not even really look like me which is very strange for me. Then again, it is kind of fun to make myself look like concrete.

Assignment 5

I spent a lot of time yesterday and today on assignment 5 parts one and two and I think I am done! (until it gets ripped apart in critique...) But I had a lot of fun with this project and reminded me why I am a graphic design major. It was nice to have some freedom in our assignment and I ended up making two drawings that I really like. They were also fun to work on because I remembered I actually like drawing...just not super detailed drawings of McNeal hall! The other part of the assignment I love was that we got to use any medium, I personally do not like graphite or charcoal all that much so this class has been a struggle. It was nice to finally use a different and a little more fun medium!

Figure Drawing

I've never done figure drawing before and to be honest, when I first found out we were doing them I was really dreading it, but to my surprise it was actually fun. I really enjoyed doing the longer poses and I found the quick gesture drawings to be very helpful.

self portrait

so i have been having difficulty representing myself accurately in comparison to the piece i chose. I chose henri tolouse latrecs "Jane Avril", and it is really an iconic image of her. from what i remember, she chose him to make this for her because she knew that he would do it well. from a graphic design perspective it is great. simple, effective, leaves a lasting impression on you. so i have been trying to think of a way to position my body in a way that captures who i am, while not looking too faked. oh well, hopefully i can get something to work for me.

Is there another word for drawing that isn't drawing?

I've been enjoying assignment five. The artist I chose is an Iranian-born Californian named Max Emadi. He painted a series of pinup style Muslim women lovingly entitled "Islamic Erotica." The series has gained both popularity and controversy. I chose this artist and the piece (the piece is Ms. July) because I see two things from both my cultures blended into one: In the American/Western aspects of this image, we see the legs of the woman and her body on modest display. It makes me think of pinup art, which is something I am very passionate about. I read on a review of Emadi's work something along the lines of how in Western images, it's almost impossible and unreal to NOT include a sensual figure in a painting or to display the body. In a Muslim culture, it's taboo for a woman to do so. Yet here, the body is displayed with grace. A Muslim would probably interpret the image much differently from a Westerner. The other element I see, if I may say with a streak of vanity, is the exotic beauty that Middle Eastern women are so notorious for. The legs, in this painting, are exposed and dressed in heels, while the upper body, save for the eyes, is covered in a hajab, traditional Muslim garb for a woman. My family isn't Muslim, but there's a sensual lure about this woman under the hajab, exposing her legs. It's really remarkably beautiful. In short, it combines the two cultures I grew up in: an expressive and free-thinking Western, and a more conservative and proper Iranian belief system. Plus, it's pinup art, so it automatically goes for the win for me.

assignment 5

I'm really enjoying working on assignment 5. It's such a good change from working on McNeal, and I love exploring different media. The piece I chose is titled "Grotesque" and is by Hannah Höch, who was a Dadaist. A lot of the art in the Dada movement was supposed to be anti-art, and be drastically different from traditional art. This piece of artwork was created to be a commentary on the changing gender roles, and how the contemporary German woman was clashing with the traditional woman. While working on the assignment, it's difficult for me to make my self-portrait be my own, but still look like it was influenced by the original. I don't want to look like I just copied the artwork and pasted my own face in, and looking at my current process, it's looking almost too similar. I guess I'll just get opinions at critique!! I'm excited to see everyone else's for tomorrow; I enjoy seeing what other people chose to do for their own self-portraits.

-Lindsay St. Clair

Figure Drawing

I have been extremely surprised by how much I have improved at drawing figures so far. When this unit was about to start I was worried that I would never be able to draw in proportion or make my drawing even remotely correct. However, I think the gesture drawings of the human figure have really helped that. It is amazing to me how much I have learned so far in this process. I think that I felt as if I was not a god enough drawer to take on the task of drawing the human figure. I am glad that I was, in a way, forced into it. Now, each time I make my way to the room at eight in the morning, I am looking forward to seeing improvements. Obviously, I have many areas in which I need to continue to progress, but so far I am thrilled with what we have learned. Also, I really appreciate the quality feedback I have been getting on my drawings. It has really helped. Thanks guys!
-Bri

Figure Drawing

The only thing I dislike more than drawing people is drawing REAL people. Thus, figure drawing has not been my favorite thing ever, but I do feel that I'm improving. Last week reminded me a lot of the first weeks when we were doing still lifes of random objects. No more free work time (which I enjoy)... back to structure. 1 minute pose, 2 minute pose, 45 minute pose. I just can't concentrate when I have time limits, whether they are too short or too long. They either make me rush or overdo things.

The biggest thing I need to work on with figure drawing is making my compositions fill up the entire page. With a bigger image to work from, I feel that I could render the details better. I'm also going to pay close attention to proportion.

On the other hand, my McNeal is completely done (I TOOK THE TAPE OFF), except for some finishing touches. This weekend is going to be focused on bringing assignment 5 up to cory-quality.

Drawing Drawing Drawing

I came into the studio and stayed last night until 11:00 to get my McNeal ready for review, only to set my alarm for the wrong time this morning! I'm so mad I'm kicking myself. Yuck.

It's been so nice to take a break from McNeal the last week or so. I love drawing the models. The woman who modeled for us on Monday was, I thought, exquisitely beautiful. I loved drawing her, she had such a wonderful figure. The process can be mentally exhausting, especially when we do 20-30 minute drawings, but I'm really enjoying them. I just wish I wasn't stupid enough to sleep in this morning to miss class! Argh!

I'm going to go back to McNeal at night now to shade my drawing. In the corner I picked (third floor by the bathrooms and stairs), there are four light fixtures. The lighting is so dramatic and wonderful! Darker, eerier images, whether paintings or photographs, hold a high allure for me, so I'm going to display the same idea in my drawing. To tell you all the truth, I just transferred my drawing to the Stonehenge! Oh, I feel awful. This semester has not gone well, but now I'm prepared to break my back with grace. What goes around comes around, and I'm starting to think, "I wish I had done this differently/sooner/better, etc..." We can't be lazy, we must be diligent!

I guess, see you all on Monday. Good luck with everything we have left! We're doing so well.

figure drawings

Hello, class.

I was wondering how everyone is holding up with the figure drawings with both assignment 5 AND our McNeal drawings still in process.

I personally really like figure drawings. I am humbled by the models, and therefore feel more inclined to draw them with more emotion and attentiveness than I did an iron or styrofoam head.

As for my McNeal drawing, it's coming along slowly but surely. It's crazy how much time a single step takes to get perfectly shaded and blended so it looks good, and like all the other steps! haha! Hope everyones' is coming along well! Do we have a review on that tomorrow? I just thought of that...

difficult

I found it very difficult to find a representation of a human body from another culture online. I finally found one from the Indian, and then I realized that it was from a kama sutra temple. So that was....interesting. And it was a lot harder to draw than I thought, but I think the pose of the woman is very interesting, and it is fun to draw all the curves.

Assignment 5?

Hey guys if any of you reads this before Monday can someone please give me the guidelines for Assignment 5? I missed class on Monday so I didn't get the assignment sheet. Thanks! you can e-mail me instead of write on here too if you want- joh04740@umn.edu

Otherwise I just did my 5 drawings of my hands and 5 of my feet, and I'm a little discouraged how awkward and gangly they look....it did help to really break it down to shapes but even then they still didn't quite look right. Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep working on them! Besides hands and feet are the hardest to draw so for now I'll convince myself that its ok they look horrible! See you guys on monday!

drawing #1

Im wondering if i can do half the drawing on computer and draw over it with pen. Would that count as two mediums? I believe i can cover the computer sketch with all kinds of texture since im gifted with representing texture, or so im told.

By the way, our drawings on wedneday were awesome!