Marijuana and the Brain: How it Works

Lilienfeld gave us a lot of good information about marijuana on pages 193-194, but after reading this section I asked myself "How exactly does marijuana work?" I turned to the Internet, and this is what I found.
Most of us are aware that the main chemical found in marijuana that affects users is called THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). THC mimics the effects of anandamide, a neurotransmitter found naturally in our brains, by binding to the cannabinoid receptors. Cannabinoid receptors are vast in the hippocampus, cerebellum, basal ganglia, and the hypothalamus. As we have learned in previous chapters the hippocampus is responsible for memory, the cerebellum is responsible for balance control and coordinated movements, the basal ganglia is responsible for movement control, and the hypothalamus is responsible for motivation, emotion, and hunger regulation. Within seconds of inhaling THC, it has reached the brain and begins to attack these areas. This is why users have a hard time remembering things, controlling their emotions, and controlling their appetite.