The Mozart Effect

The Mozart Effect is the supposed boost in intelligence after listening to classical music (Lilienfeld 377). This concept is important because I have learned of the Mozart Effect prior to this class and always thought of it to be true. Whenever I study, I usually listen to classical music, rather than music with lyrics or words in it, so as to boost my studying ability I guess. My Dad always has asked me if I listen to music when I study. Usually when I am doing math-based homework, I can listen to any type of music. When I am reading or studying for a quiz or an exam, I usually listen to classical music or instrumental music on a very low volume, kind of just background noise. I guess I have done this because my Dad has always suggested it. Further research on the Mozart effect has shown that it is hard to replicate and is falsifiable. The simpler explanation is that the music arouses the participant greater than listening to other composers or silence. So does studying with music allow you to perform better when having to retrieve information? Or is it better to study with no music? I guess it would depend on the person. In the book it says that it showed no long-term effect on overall intelligence. I could see how listening to music would not be helpful when you are studying because of stimuli overload, and you may get distracted. One may suffer from state-dependent or context-dependent learning when taking an exam if they studied while listening to music, which caused arousal because they wouldn't be able to listen to music while taking the exam.

This is interesting.Maybe I should try to listen to Mozart when I study too. Do you know if any other composers' music could work in the same why? For example,would listening to Bach work?