It Makes Sense In My Head

In chapter thirteen of the Lilienfeld text it covers the subject of conformity. We discussed this topic in discussion, but we focused a lot on the aspect of action conformity. If you recall we watched the video with the people in the elevator who conformed to the odd facing direction. I thought that was very interesting, but what is even more interesting to me is conformity that is not so public and more a personal conformity.. This is hard to put into words and may seem but confusing, but maybe I can bring you to my level of thinking for a while.
The man conforming in the elevator displayed his conformity publicly, people could see it, but right now I'm focused on an inner conformity. Here is an example from the text. When Walt Disney died, many people believed that he had himself frozen to be thawed and brought back to life in the future when technology permitted it (Lilienfeld, 2010). Now, a lot of people believed this, and even I had caught wind of this rumor and thought it was legit for a while. But when I heard this and believed it, there was no one around me to pressure me into believing it, I simply accepted it because it seemed logical. Disney had an enormous fortune to his name, and could pay for any such procedure. This leads me to believe that conformity, though part of SOCIAL psychology, doesn't always need to be in a social situation. Conformity appears to be prevalent in a multitude of personal situations.
To conclude I want to point out and make sure that what I'm trying to convey, is conveyed. Many people believe that conformity only happens in social, group settings. Someone does something, and another person conforms to that. But, I'm trying to point out that it seems many people will conform to something, even when there is nobody anywhere near them... it's hard for me to explain, but it makes sense in my head.