Coolest Illusion EVER!

Okay bear with me here, I'm going to start off with the boring part. Artists take advantage of perception to help increase the overall effect of their painting or other work of art. I will define perception for those of you (including me) who forgot its meaning. The book definition of perception is the brain's interpretation of raw sensory inputs. In other words, perception is how our minds organize and put the bits of sensory data that we see into more meaningful concepts. When we perceive the real world, we sacrifice small details in favor of crisp and often more meaningful representations of it. Artists use this perception to recreate the impression of depth, like on a flat canvas, by using the monocular depth cues that are apart of the visual perception of the everyday world. There are six types of monocular dept cues that artists love to use; relative size, texture gradient, interposition, linear perspective, height in plane, and light and shadow. I'm not going to give you the definitions of all six, because that would just be repetitive for the both of us, but the definitions are on page 144 in our own kick a$$ UofM psych book. Finally, let's get to the cool stuff!

Follow these instructions to perceive the coolest illusion ever:

1) Relax and concentrate on the 4 small dots in the middle of the picture for about 30-40 seconds.
2) Then, take a look at the wall near you (or any smooth, single colored surface).
3) You will see a circle of light developing
4) Start BLINKING (very crucial) your eyes a couple of times and you will see a figure emerging.
5) What do you see? Moreover, who do you see?

illusion7.png