detection inspection

The basis of the show "Lie to Me" is about a psychologist who uses nonverbal clue to detect lies. There many ways to try to detect lies such as polygraph tests, guilty knowledge test and brain scanning tests. Nonverbal detection of lies tends to be less of an indicator than verbal detection, which I found strange because we consciously choose our words where as our physical responses I feel are more subconscious. It seems improbable then, that Dr. Cal Lightman, the character in "Lie to Me", can almost always detect when someone is lying based solely on nonverbal cues. I also found it interesting that those in occupations who one would expect to be good at lie detecting, such as cops or psychologists, tend to be no more accurate at detecting than the rest of us. This could mean that no matter how much experience or practice you have with lie detecting it does not really help with improving your skill. There wasn't any type of lie detecting test that was 100% accurate, or even close. This goes to show that even though we spend much of our time trying to detect the lies of others , we will basically end up with a 50/50 guess on if the truth is being told or not. I tend to go with intuition in situations like this instead of looking for clues, verbal or nonverbal, or searching for signs of anxiety.
aaaaalie.jpg

This is something that also great intrigues me. I was once a pretty big fan of the show Lie to Me and reading this in the chapter and in this post kind of bummed me out. They do such a great job on the show of reading faces and then we learn that nonverbal cues are not even that beneficial. I also was really surprised to see the numbers and how close the percentage of professionals reading if someone is lying and just an average joe. Really like the post and and the guys face in the picture makes me laugh when I look at it.

I also found this interesting. I always thought that people gave away subtle cues that showed they were lying, and maybe some or even most people do, but the science behind reading those cues is inconsistent and very unreliable. And these statistics show that it is really anyone's guess on whether someone is lying or not. And its not something that a person can learn to do because of the fact that non-verbal cues are different from person to person and that they are not extremely beneficial.