Life-threatening eating disorders

I am sure that every one of us, especially the girls have once dreamed a thinner version of ourselves. Maybe not just once or twice, but every single moment of the day. These days, the media has influenced and increased our standard of ideal body image. Celebrities and models that we see in media are mostly underweight which makes us feel as if we are incredibly overweight. These psychological influences often lead to terrible eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia.

Anorexia is a phobia of becoming fat despite being normal or severely underweight and restraining oneself from eating. Anorexia is less common than bulimia which is continual vicious cycle of binging and purging. Bulimia occupies about 1~3% of the population while anorexia occupies 0.5~1% although they both begin in adolescent and much more common in girls. Such phenomena can be found not only in western cultures but also those that have had little exposure to western culture. So it is basically a universally spread idea.

One of the statistics about the eating disorders suggest that "the mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate associated with all causes of death for females 15-24 years old" Personally, as a girl myself, I also have experience of going on a diet because I want to look as slim as those women on media to have more confidence. I am sure many of us have looked at ourselves through mirror and have realized the need for going on a diet. There are many researches about body image and eating disorders, and many of the researches address that women are rarely completely satisfied with their body images which causes the anxiety for being fat. Therefore, these research findings explain why the individuals with eating disorders are in the normal weight range.

Eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia are more common in girls and such phenomena are largely rooted in media and how society views overweight people. As stated in the quotation above, such eating disorders are life threatening and increasing numbers of women are becoming the victims of the media. It is also the matter of women standing strong for themselves but I personally think that it is more of the media's responsibility to portray less of the underweight models that gives shallow image of what human beauty really is.
body image & eating disorder.jpg

I thought this was really interesting. I obviously know that eating disorders and dangerous and scary but I had not realized the mortality rate of these diseases was so high. Although these diseases are commonly seen as bad, I think they are often overlooked as life threatening. Great post!