Milgram and Obedience

Five years from now the thing I will remember from this psychology course is the Milgram experiment. Not only was it the most interesting experiment, in my opinion, it was also the one that got me thinking the most. From a young age we are taught obedience and to respect authority figures such as teachers, principals and police officers. Milgram proved that this obedience runs much deeper than most people thought. In his study, participants were pushed to their moral limits as they were told to continue to administer shocks clearly labeled dangerous. How far would you go if Mr. Willams was prompting you to continue, to follow orders, to hurt another person? From an outsiders view it is easy to say that you would never follow orders if you knew they were wrong but this experiment makes us think twice. With over half, 62 percent, administering the highest voltage one cannot be so sure that they would not do the same thing. Not all obedience is bad but blind obedience, without listening to our morals, can get us in a lot of trouble. Having learned about this study and its application to the Holocaust it reminds me to always question authority rather than simply obey.

I think there is more to it. I do not think this is so simple. If you say you would always question authority it does not mean you won't do what they tell you. People in the video questioned the experimenter: "Is that guy ok? Why am I doing this?" They got the answer and they continued torturing.

First thing and foremost is that people are stupid!

When people share same values they can do bad stuff too. The Holocaust is an example.

If you try to be different than others and try not to share the same values other factors will jump upon you, like Mass Psychology for example. I felt this on my skin. I participated in a revolution in 2009. I was a very peaceful person, not after entering the crowd. I really do not know how my mind change but I started to break stuff, throw things and became a bad guy in a matter of minutes. I realized what I had done only after a couple of hours after the revolution was finished.