Takeaway: Memory & Optimum Study Techniques

Before I began this class, I thought that I knew a lot about psychology. Some material that we learned reinforced basic knowledge that I had, but more often than not it contradicted the ideas that I had heard before. However, the concepts that I will remember the most five years from now are those relating to memory. I was amazed at how untrustworthy our memories can be, and how easily we can create false memories. Additionally, I was happy to learn that there is a "best" way to study: shorter individual study periods over long periods of time versus cramming. It's not really a surprise, but it was interesting to see the science behind it and see how many study periods help put the information to long-term memory instead of short-term. This knowledge is something that I'll remember for a long time (possibly because I went over it multiple times over a long period of time!).