Taking It With Me: Using Psy 1001 in the Future

Over the course of the semester, I've learned a lot of different things in Psychology. Between the textbook, the discussion sections, and lecture, a ton of information has been thrown at us. Some will stick with us, while other things will be forgotten...maybe even what we've learned about the human memory! I think something that will stick with me from Psych 1001 is that people's personalities are a combination of a huge number of factors. The things we like or dislike about a different person might be from their genetics, their environment, or even from their attempts to fit in or be liked. Because of this, it is unfair to judge others or be hyper-critical of their personalities or its flaws.

In addition, something that I will carry with me from Psychology class is the principles that the book used to evaluate the validity of claims, such as Occam's Razor, Falsifiability, Correlation vs. Causation, Ruling Out Rival Hypotheses, Replicability, andExtraordinary Claims. Many times we are quick to believe something, but by applying these principles of scientific thinking, we can be sure that the information we are getting is trustworthy. After time, being skeptical and thorough in research can become second nature and help me avoid false claims.