The Big 5 in 5

Over the course of the semester I have been exposed to a variety of different topics surrounding psychology. Because this was the first time I have ever taken I psych class I found a lot of the subjects very interesting however there is one I think I will defiantly remember in the future. Five years from now I am almost positive I will still be able to talk about the Big 5 Traits from class.

The week before we lectured on the big 5 we were asked to take the survey online about what our traits would be. I treated it like every other survey for every other class. However I was not expecting the results to be as accurate as they were. After I took the survey I wrote down my numbers for each trait, but had no idea what any of them meant. I was simply doing what I was told and thought I could use the extra point. When I arrived to class that following week and began examining each trait I was shocked to realize how much I fit each category. I scored 28 in Openness to Experience, this being higher than the average, and matched me perfectly because I am always up for an adventure and as the textbook states intellectually curious; I am often intrigued by new information in my class. I scored 28, very high, on conscientiousness once again fitting me perfectly because I am very responsible and careful about how I do everything in my life. I scored 22, which is in the middle for Extraversion. I am outgoing when I want to be, however I do internalize a lot of my life and enjoying being alone. I scored 31 in agreeableness matching my cooperative and easy to get along with personality to a "T". The last one being Neuroticism I scored a 16, which I can also see as fitting to an extent in my life. In the survey, that score would reflect a high score. I often find myself being tense over my school work and my perfectionist personality would also be a leading factor in this score.

As I have talked about above, I was able to directly relate my results from the
survey to my own life, which really helped me, learn and be interested in this section of the class. Because of this connection I made to my everyday life, I feel like I will defiantly remember and use these traits five, ten and maybe even twenty years down the road.

I was surprised by the accuracy of my results too. And I agree - they were helpful when applied to my life. It would be interesting to see how (or if) our traits change at all in five years time.

ust like you, this is the one of the most interesting topic by now I found in the course; I was surprised that this survey can apply to almost every individual and multiple cultural. Its accuracy and universal common make me shocked. However, you said the result of your survey is very accurate as they were. I’m afraid that I cannot agree with on that. Because I think the result of the survey tell us what kind of person, but not to see how the score you get to fit your actual personality. Sometimes the personality will change depend on what kind situation we are in. The “OCEAN” is simple to remember easy to recall, Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism, these five concepts are really easy to understand. They make sense in our reality world. I definitely will remember it for many years.

Just like you, this is the one of the most interesting topic by now I found in the course; I was surprised that this survey can apply to almost every individual and multiple cultural. Its accuracy and universal common make me shocked. However, you said the result of your survey is very accurate as they were. I’m afraid that I cannot agree with on that. Because I think the result of the survey tell us what kind of person, but not to see how the score you get to fit your actual personality. Sometimes the personality will change depend on what kind situation we are in. The “OCEAN” is simple to remember easy to recall, Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism, these five concepts are really easy to understand. They make sense in our reality world. I definitely will remember it for many years.