The Master Cleanse

The Master Cleanse (or Lemonade Diet) has been around for quite some time, but gained popularity a couple years ago when Beyonce reported substantial weight loss in a short amount of time from this method. While it was originally intended for use as a full body toxin cleanse, it has grown into something people use for fast weight loss. While on the cleanse you are limited to drinking the "Master Elixir" (lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup, and water), a mixture of water and sea salt, herbal laxative tea, or just plain water. Sounds delicious AND nutritious right?

Obviously while on this diet (anywhere from 4-14 days is suggested) you lose weight because your calorie intake is so low. You are barely getting enough nutrients to keep your body running and, because of this, may experience headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and constipation. Your metabolism will slow because your body is starving, which will make it easier to gain all the weight (and then some) back once the cleanse is over. This creates a vicious cycle and often leads to feelings of guilt because even after "all that work" you still managed gain the weight back.

There is no evidence to support the fact that you need a cleanse to get rid of the toxins in your body. Your liver is doing that for you. The best you can do to keep your body healthy and fit is eat foods high in nutrients that you need, have a balanced diet (which can include an unhealthy snack or two), and stay physically active. One of the last things most of us want to do is slow down our metabolism, which is exactly what a starvation diet does. Extraordinary claims and anecdotal evidence make for a great fairytale weight loss plan, but don't do much for those actually looking to lose weight.

Nice job on the blog entry and explaining what this diet is. This diet sounds a lot like the cookie diet, where it might cause short term weight loss, but in the long run it can cause the person to gain more weight than before. I think that this diet can also be harmful to the body and if people on this diet aren't careful, they could seriously end up doing more harm than good to their body. The correct way for a person to lose weight is to make healthy and smart eating choices and to exercise frequently in order to lose weight and then keep that weight off.

I have heard of this and many other detox diets. Some detox diets are used to see what foods you are possibly allergic too but these diets call for a normal calorie intake. I love the fact that so many people think they lose this weight quick when in reality, this backfires once you are done with the diet. You mostly lose water weight in the process and then once you do eat food you normally binge. This is a form of short term anorexia, which if Beyonce was headlined in the news for that she would be ridiculed.

This is one diet I haven't heard about before, but it sounds a lot like many other popular fad diets. In my nutrition class it explain how many of these fad diets make you lose weight in unhealthy ways which generally ends in more rapid weight gain after, just like the "Lemonade Diet" you wrote about. Even though its common knowledge that most of these fad diets don't work out in the end, its interesting to think that so many people can still choose to try them.

I was really interested when reading your post because I personally know a few girls during my senior year in high school who did a cleanse. At the time I was unaware of the major side effects, however I found the diet to be quite extremely and debilitating in their own personal lives. They often lacked energy and motivation, along with continuously looking tired and drained. Although they may have fit perfectly into their prom dresses, I felt as though they were, like celebrities, negatively representing our student body and pressuring others to look the way they did. I have not seen them since I graduated so I am unaware of how their bodies responded after stopping the cleanse, but I am now intrigued after reading your post. Thank you for such an informational post!

I totally agree with your opinion. I also saw many people who was considering doing those diet and the ways attracted me because they seemed to short and effective ways to lose my weight. However, I never tried doing them. As already mentioned, if I use the ways, my weight will restore to the original state when I eat like before starting the diet. Also, the ways will harm my health. I think the best way of diet is doing reducing calories and steady working out at the same time.