Who has a better memory?

For this experiment I thought back to my first ever homerun in little league baseball when I was 12 and my younger brother Jacob was 9. I wrote down as many details as I could about this specific memory and then asked my brother to write as well, since he was at the game.

My memories: Played for the Rockies in last year of A ball, overjoyed and euphoric, Spencer Jones (good friend) pitching, sunny day, using Matt's baseball bat, one guy on base, optimist top field, cousins were in town.

Jacob's memories: solo homerun, cold, bottom field, with Dad, eating a fun dip, team was Rockies, Josh was pitching, you wouldn't stop talking about it, living at old house.

Now looking back and reviewing the two it interested me to see the similarities, differences and the obvious mishaps my brother had in his memories. As you can see we remembered the obvious memories like the team I was playing for, my good friend pitching but even had different answers for the field I was playing on. Also there were differences in remembrance of weather, which family members attended the game, and who scored on my homerun. This interests me because I know for a fact my cousins were in town visiting for the fourth of July along with the remembrance of it being a 2 run homerun putting my team tied at 4-4. The interest comes into play because I wonder which of Jacob's memories that differed from mine were indeed accurate. This ties to what we spoke on in class and read in the book how the brain is known to fill in memories with plausible false memories. For example, my brother's favorite candy at the ballpark was fun dip so it would make sense his brain would assume he was eating some (and maybe he actually was). Another example of the brain filling in is myself remembering a beautiful day when my brother swears it was cold and miserable. It makes sense my brain would fill a positive weather memory with one of my fondest memories of my first homerun. It is amazing how a memory so vivid to oneself, much like the 9/11 experiment, can truly change overtime, and sadly I never really will no who was right on some those memories.

It is very interesting to see how your brother's memory and your memory on same event are similar in some but different in other. This interests me because I thought the false memory is more likely to occur for the important and unforgettable event such as 9/11. However, I guess it is common when we try to remember something from the past.

This kind of experiment makes you wonder if we have been wrong about substantial memories in our history due to differing perspectives. We can never know how someone sees something because we can't get inside their head and its very troubling when someone is so far off from us. Interesting post, and congrats on that homer, awesome feeling i tell ya

It is interesting to see how your results turned out different from your brother's in the experiment. So it is true that we live on with memories that are somewhat different from the real experiences we would have had. Then it is quite sad that some of the precious memories that we possess may not be real. It is amazing to see how vividly we think we remember certain memories but it actually turns out that we were holding onto something that didn't even happen.

I loved how you approached this memory experiment and involved both you and your brother! I think you also did a great analysis of the results of both accounts from the baseball game. While reading your entry, my mind also immediately went to the 9/11 example provided to us in class and how college student's memories from the day's events changed over time. Our brains really are interesting in how we almost create certain memories but push others to the side and forget them and their details.