What I learned about learning

I have learned a lot this semester in psychology. There are many lessons I can take away from this class and use in my everyday life. Learning everything from personality to IQ to psychological disorders can help me better understand the world around. Specifically, I think the learning chapter in the class will be very helpful in the future. I plan to have kids in the future and discussing the way kids learn and at what paces they develop will be very helpful when I have my own kids. It is interesting to know that kids have a certain range of emotions at one age and that expand to a certain age. This knowledge will help me to be a better parent to my children and help me understand their development process. Also, the personality chapter will help me discover the kind of person my children might be and where they might get certain traits from. It also will help me identify strong points to capitalize on and weak points to work on. Overall, I found the class very interesting with a lot of useful information to be used in many aspects of one's life, from work to personal. I really enjoyed the class and discussion sections for they helped me gain good insight into psychology

I agree on the importance of this chapter on learning. As a future parent, it will be very helpful to understand the different stages of your child's growth. Knowing this will help to prepare and create the best environment for your child, and in turn, help to make you a good parent as well.

I never really thought too much about applying the knowledge about child development to my own future life and kids till this post. I will definitely try to remember this topic when my time as a parent comes around. I will for sure remember the study done by Werker and Tees that Melissa Koenig talked about in lecture where the infant's phonemes were the same as their parents' native language after a year. I am trying to learn Spanish and would love my children to be bilingual so the importance of keeping a native speaker around in their early development is something I will take away from this class.

True! The knowledge about the development of children is very useful in the future, for then your kids can take the advantage of all the ability that only appear when we are young like the language learning. Sometimes, I am thinking if my parents played a English video when I was still younger than 10 month old or hire a English teacher when I was still a little baby, I would not need to struggle with English that much today....

I completely agree. Rising children is one of the most (may be even the most) important mission in life. If you fail this test, the rest of your achievements will not really matter. Creating new life is not the significant part of being a partent. What's coming next is the essential deal. Having some related knowledge in the field if psychology is always an asset.
Melinda