The quality of news reporting may be in jeopardy, but the School of Journalism continues to carry the banner for excellence with its annual Frank Premack Public Affairs Journalism Awards.
One of the state's most coveted journalism honors, it celebrates Minnesota newspapers that are doing public affairs journalism in their community or region.
This year's winners were:
- MinnPost.com, the Coleman-Franken Recount
by Jay Weiner
- The Bemidji Pioneer, "Help for Cattle Farms"
by Brad Swenson
- St. Paul Pioneer Press, "The Death of Subject 13"
by Jeremy Olson and Paul Tosto
- Rochester Post-Bulletin, "Mystery Illness"
by Jeff Hansel
- Star Tribune, "Resolution Needed in AG Controversy"
by Jill Burcum
- Morrison County Record, "Every county resident should be saddened by Tuesday's events"
by Tom West
The competition was started to honor Frank Premack, a reporter and editor at the Minneapolis Tribune, who died in 1975.