Northern Lights 3.bmp

Northern Lights

Northern Lights 2.bmp

Northern Lights Phenomenon

The Northern Lights are a magnificent display. They are caused by electrically charged particles and colar wind. They are located in space and are very huge. They are far away from us and the Sun- framework. The Northern Lights seem to be very unpredictable, but I was searching online and I found that they are forecasted like the weather in some places like Alaska- clockwork. It is very different to see them in person than in a picture. They seem to sway and distort in the sky and change color very fast. It almost seems out of this world, or unreal. The pictures that I posted show that no two are alike, and that they are very beautiful phenomena.

Northern Lights

Northern Lights.bmp

Prague

Prague.bmp

prague_038.jpg

Prague, Czech Republic

During winter break in 2002, the Chaska High School Band and Choir traveled to Europe and visited Germany, Austri and the Czech Republic. I was in the Wind Ensmeble and played clarinet. I remember when we got of the plane in Munich, Germany, they almost had to send us home because of the war in Iraq. It was a very scary thing, and during most of the trip, people would look at us weird because we were Americans. Anyway, I remember visiting the Prague in the Czech Republic and it was amazing! I even liked it more than Vienna in Austria. The buildings were unlike any I have seen in the United States. There are some pictures that I found on the web that I saw in Prague, but I cannot remember exactly what buildings they are. The Genius loci in Praque was remarkable! The people had an upbeat spirit and seemed to enjoy life and their surroundings. The houses all had red roofs, so the views were very neat to look at. The Czech Republic has so much history compared with America, and to see the buildings in person was great. It is very different to actually see a building in person than to see it in a picture. When you see it in person, you are interacting with the place and the people and you get a sense of what the place is actually like. I will never forget Prague, and I know I will visit it again in my lifetime.

Social Design Issue

Whenever I am going through certain parts of towns, I always see some places that are just plain ugly and run down. For example, in my neighborhood in Excelsior, there are some houses that are an eyesore because they need a new paint job or a new deck or a cleanup of the lawn. I think that it would be a good thing for students and whoever else wanted to help, to paint these houses and fix up the decks and lawns. There are two white houses right next to each other on Lake St. in Excelsior that have the paint chipping off and have junk in the lawns. It would be great to see it cleaned up because it would make the neighborhood look better. If the community got together to help, it would be a great opportunity for the community to come closer together. The people who own the houses I'm sure would love to have the community come and help them paint the houses, or clean up the yards. And of course, the people who volunteered to help would have a warm, fuzzy feeling inside of them because they have done something nice for somebody else. I think this would be a great opportunity for the students of this class, especially the ones who live around the area that I do because it would be more convenient.

Social Design Issue

The Midtown Market

Energy is life. Energy is activity and intensity. Energy is always taking place everywhere around the world. The Midtown Global Market in Uptown has many different types of energy occuring all at once. When I passed from the outide of the Market to the inside, there was a great exchange of energy. The inside was booming with activity, music, sights and smells. It was almost a culture shock because I have never been to this place and had no idea what it was about. The atmosphere of the Market was very energetic with people all over doing different things. I was creating energy because I became a part of everything that was going on- I was interacting with people and things. After I left I still felt upbeat and energized because of the atmosphere of the place and the energy that it gave me. I live in Excelsior, which is a ways away from Minneapolis, and there isn't anything like the Midown Market nearby. I really liked the atmosphere of the place and will definately go there again because it was interesting and unlike many of the things that I normally do.

These are my thoughts and ideas.
Tina Clem (PrayingMantis)