Critique 3

I've made some changes to my project idea since last week. As I've been working on sketching out each scene of my story and then creating the same image in illustrator, I've realized that I am really interested in the detail, textures and colors of each scene. I don't think I have enough time to finish the animation and complete the backgrounds how I want them to look. The detail of the images are more important to me right now so I have changed my idea to a children's book. I got this idea from my roommate who is studying elementary education and is in a children's literature class right now. By making a book instead I will have more time to make sure the images convey the correct meaning with the words and have the detail work that I want. In order to make this project still "animated" in a sense... I have two ideas. I am going to have a CD attached to the inside cover of my book that can be played with the book. This will have a woman reading each page out loud and when the page should be turned there will be a chime. This will make it relatable to children. Also I was thinking of making a small flap on each page or every other page that can be folded up to show an image like a frog under a rock or a fox behind a tree. This can make it interactive and have a similar "animated" affect. Since I changed my idea I have some inspirations and past work to show. Here are two children books that have the same style I want to achieve with my book.

5449870652_76c0e2aae0.jpg

korey_scott_001.jpg

Here is a similar project that I did in Digital Studio I a couple years ago. It was a group project where one of my group members illustrations and story was chosen for us to make into a book. We filled it in with water color together and I decided to take the Snow White theme of the book and make the book in the shape of a mirror.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

For today's critique I have decided what text to keep in the story and how the text will all be divided onto the pages. I have six pages digital rough drafts done. I have the rest of the images sketched out digitally but not colored in yet... that is what I will be doing the rest of today and tomorrow. For critique next week I will have all of the pages done with a strong rough draft so that next week I can do the close detail work and start figuring out how I want to do the binding. I have the pages of my book layed out in a few different ways so that there is movement in the girl traveling along. I have some pages where the two left and right pages are one image, I some where there are two separate images on the left and right pages and others where it is just text in the middle with no image or a very small one in the corner. Here is some of what I have done right now. I have the rest of my digital outline files on my flashdrive but I left that at home so I will add those later tonight when I get home.

starsbook.pdf

Here is a link to different ways I can go about binding my book. I want to have a strong enough paper so I can do the flap tabs if I choose to do that.

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/how-to-bind-a-book

Here is some research I did on children's book with my roommates textbook on children's literature.

picturebook.docx

I will post the rest of my background images once I fill them in with color... probably tonight or sometime tomorrow.