DIGITAL FOCUS FINAL REFLECTION

Project Focus / Title: My digital focus project was story telling. The title of my piece is The Stars in the Sky

Media: For this project I used mostly Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to create my images. For the voice telling the story I used Garage Band. For my final piece I used an old cigar box, acrylic paint, cover paper for printing, ribbon, found objects and rubber cement. This was definitely a mixed media piece.

Size + Format: Each page in my book is trimmed to 10X6 inches. The cigar box that the pages are inside are 11.5 X8 inches. There are 18 pages to my story inside the box and a cd that has the story read on it by my roommate who is an early childhood teacher. This CD can be accompanied with this story or read without.

What conceptual ideas or thematic subjects did you investigate with
this project: For this project I wanted to explore different ways to do story telling. My project began with the inspiration of a story my mom used to read to me titled The Stars in the Sky. I first started working with this story as an animation but then realized I wanted to try out a childrens book because I had never done that before. I used my own personal style to create images for this story that could tell the story without words. I learned that the images need to be understandable and lead well to the next page just like a story would if it was being told.

Describe your work process on these finished pieces : My original plan with my childrens book was to get it professional binded so it looked just like a real book but then I discovered that it could not get done in enough time before it was due. SO I thought of other ways that storys could be told and found an old cigar box at an antique store that inspired me to have the story unfold like an occoridan out of the box once it is opened. This story is about a little girls dream and I wanted to capture that theme by having the box hold this story as a memory. The story is full of imagination and I wanted to continue this with my final piece by having bright colors and glitter on the box that holds the story. I also wanted to have the option of words with my story so I included a CD with the story being told. I really enjoy the overall theme of my project but if I had more time and money I would have liked to play more with the execution of the project and tried a few other techniques. I had a couple problems with the cutting of my project and paint reacting to glue.

Evaluate the success of the final craft of your finished project:
I think that my project was very successful in telling a story. I think that the interactive piece of the project bring the surprise and the option to listen to a CD with the story being told allows a large audience to enjoy the story, at all ages.

Describe how you would ideally present or share this work with a
public audience: I think that this final piece is a story as a work of art. This could be displayed in a gallery that featured art for children or it could be used as promotion for the author's book at a book store. It reminds me of some of the displays Barnes and Nobles has of featured authors and books.

Describe how you would expand on this creative work if you were to
continue developing it: If I was going to continue this work which I hope to do, I would like to go back and try the animation of this story. I want to try even more ways to tell a story and this could include animation, an e-book for an iPad or iTouch, or experimenting with self binding my own book.