« Walker Art | Main | Fresh Works Response »

Dawei Xu Video Response

Forgive me if this review is a little vague, but I watched this video a few days ago, and have forgotten some of the specifics.
I loved how Xu played with not only the content of the different videos show, but also the videos' "screen" height, width, shape and placement; it helped to portray the emotions that each combination of videos was supposed to evoke. For me, the video evoked a feeling of loneliness and starkness. It seemed that neither the wild nor captivity was shown to be idealized. I loved the tiny vertical strip of sky above a horizontal block showing the top of a building; it was quite the contrast to the norm; usually, buildings stand against a wide stretch of sky, but here the sky was smaller. The sound that was also used added to the emotion of the video itself, using the blowing of the wind, the cawing of crows and the rustling of feathers ready to takeoff in flight. A lot of the time, even the birds in the wild looked solitary, showing just one crow on a branch or wheeling in the sky, just one chicken in a cage. I loved this video piece, and I would gladly view some like it.