"The Ambitious Mogger" by Robin Schwartzmann

The piece I chose was Robin Schwartzmann’s “The Ambitious Mogger.? It’s somewhat out of the ordinary because I’ve never seen a book displayed at an art gallery let alone a cloth book. I’m not saying it’s bad but I actually enjoyed it.

“The Ambitious Mogger? tells the story of a fictitious creature, called the Mogger, who makes plastic balls for ball pits for a living. The story is told in the style of Dr. Suess in which each line rhymes. One day, another creature comes up to him and tells him that he should take a break from his work. He reluctantly gives in and takes a break by playing in the ball pit. One break turns into two, then into three, and so on, eventually causing the Mogger to neglect his work. After awhile, the ball pit becomes empty because the Mogger abandoned his work of making balls. The moral of the story is that it’s all right to have fun once in awhile but the work you do is still important.

To see a “Dr. Suess-esque? book made of cloth displayed at an art gallery is remarkable. In fact, I wish I had thought of this idea myself. Mostly everyone has read a Dr. Suess book and it brings back good ol’ memories of my elementary days.