Noble and Webster

Although this piece seemed like a regular hunk of metal taken from a junkyard it, in fact, was actually a sculpture. What it was were two rats copulating and making the shape of a heart through their tails. You can't see the rats just by looking at it. To do this you have to shine a light at the sculpture at the right angle so you can see the image of the rats on the wall.

I've always thought that sculpture was remarkable and all but seeing shadow sculptures for the first time takes sculpture to a higher level for me. To be able to create a piece of metal and place it in the right place so as to make a shadow image of that quality is simply amazing. I can't imagine how long that sculpture would have taken for Noble and Webster to make. If I tried to recreate their piece it would take me months or even years to make.

For more pictures of Tim Noble and Sue Webster's Works:
http://www.pantherhouse.com/newshelton/freeze-frame-screen-the-shadow-hot-heads-under-silent-wigs/

Equipment, Christenson Farm, January 2008

Sara Christenson
Toned Gelatin Print, 2008

Sara’s loving portrait of her family’s farm on a snowy Christmas Day instantly told me several stories:

After a heavy breakfast of waffles and bacon, she walks with her mom around the farm. They walk slowly, talking about little things they share between them. Sara is clicking away with her camera until suddenly, she sees the farming equipment. The equipment, standing idle, resting until spring, makes her happy and hopeful. She knows during this weather her Dad can sleep a little later and have dinners with her Mom.

Or

After a tense family reunion, Sara who has been away at college for a semester is told the family must sell the farm. “It’s not profitable any longer? and her parents are “getting old, too old for this precarious lifestyle.? They want to move, away from the farm that has been in their family for over a hundred years. Sara wishes she were born a boy so her father would consider asking her to take over.