« Photoshop Tip | Main | »

River to Infinity - The Vanishing Points

River to Infinity – The Vanishing Points 2008
Andrea Stanislav
MAEP gallery at MIA

The experience of walking through this installation of mirrors, rotating headless rhinestone horses and video projection of exploding obelisks in the desert turned out to be a lot meaningful than I initially thought it would be.

My first reaction to the giant rhinestone covered horses on the turntables was that of Vegas glitz and My Little Ponies. I couldn’t figure out how the faces of the Native Americans on the mirrors’ surfaces connected to the astrological charts and the “Kaboom! Kaboom!? coming from the other room…the sound brought me back to the other side of the wall, where I took off my shoes and crossed the river stepping on the glittery rocks. I liked that the artist forces the audience to “cross? the river in order to walk around the pile of toppled down mirror obelisk and discover the two horse heads, that probably belong to the two headless horses in the next room. I watched the projection on the walls of the nine obelisks in the desert exploding. everything had a reflection. the river on the floor was reflected on the mirrored ceiling, the video images on the facing walls were the same…

I didn’t understand the meaning of the obelisks and horses and river without the help of the text on the wall: how the river is a symbol of “western expansion? and how the astrological charts represented “manifest destiny? and how the horses and native Americans represented the untouched west before the “white men? came and claimed it… but now, it seems really obvious. like I was too lazy to think on my own. I wonder if I would’ve been able to figure it out without reading the pamphlet.

I went back in to the room with the rhinestone horses and now, I saw the rhinestone horses like glitzy artificial Vegas created by humans to make a man-made oasis in the middle of the untouched desert.

Visually, I liked the lights and shadows on the ceiling the most. The rotating horses made the shadows and lights move on the walls and the ceiling.