« BFA graduating show | Main | Innovative Touch (Video) »

Tectonic Industries

Artists: Helen Stringfellow, Lars Jerlach & Evan Drolet Cook
Title: Tectonic Industries: The desire to stay versus the inevitability of change
Medium: Video Installation
Year: 2008

This exhibition really denoted a sense of the creepy and absurd, and an eerie dissemination of space and time. The artists on video were supposed to be renacting (??) the infamous film by Hitchcock, “The Birds�, and did so by almost woodenly (yet also animatedly!) talking at the same time, and being silent at the same time. It was like the human element; or rather the human act of communicating had been abolished and replaced by Tippi Hedren (the actress in the birds and Hitchcock’s Barbie doll). Walking in was an experience; a blur of TV sets that displayed simple, at-home scenes of bland nothingness. A middle class sickness, perhaps? I don’t know, but I really found the exhibition unnerving. And this is as it should be, for art is supposed to make you step out of your own narrow plane of existence and make you THINK – about yourself, the world, the very ACT of living. Really this was brilliant. I hope to see this group show again.