« Untitled | Main | Autobio photo »

Artist

I figure if I am writing about an artist I might as well write about my favorite one, or I guess at least my favorite painter - Salvador Dali. I find it hard to categorize something as my favorite because there are too many different ways to think about why they are my favorite. If I was talking about composition I might say Seurat or Pollock; if I was talking about beauty in brush strokes I might say Monet but I think in the overall quality of the paintings Dali has to be my favorite. Every time I look at one of his works I am intrigued to look at it more deeply; Dali has a knack for doing the unexpected, which is why he characterizes the surrealist genre. He will often use juxtaposition such as in Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening as well as often including bizarre objects in most of his paintings, most famously the melting watches in his The Persistence of Memory. Dali’s pieces are not only visually appealing but will often include deep symbolism, such as in Soft Construction with Boiled Beans in which he makes commentary about the Spanish Civil War and how it was tearing his country apart. Dali to me is one of the most striking contemporary painters which is why he has become my favorite.