Innovative Touch (Video)

When I went over to the gallery I began looking around at the few different projects. A few of the projects that involved some electrical or moving parts (based on the sight of wires) were not up and working, which was a bit disappointing because it would've been good to get the full experience of each project. But then I saw that a TV was on, but there was nothing playing. I ejected the DVD and put it back in and pushed play - and the video I watched ended up being what I have decided to write about.

I watched Stacey Holloway's "Innovative Touch" digital video project.

Initially, as I began watching I thought it was a cool idea how she was getting shots of so many different people creating such a wide variety of art projects from paintings to woodwork to clay sculpture to metal sculptures etc, etc. As I continued to watch the video the next thing I notice was how, as it moved from scene to scene, the clips would be (for the most part) from alternating sound environments. By this I mean there would be a shot of someone working in a quite, more intimate setting maybe doing something like a painting and then it would be followed up by a contrasting environment like in a workshop with someone building a metal sculpture with lots of noise and activity involved and surrounding the shot. One of the clips that was maybe near the halfway point of the video you could hear a guy in the background speaking/somewhat-shouting, "take a look at these hands." This was when it "clicked" in my head - there was something that was tying all the differing clips together, the HANDS. Each shot focused on hands while they were doing something (which was, for the most part, creating some form of art). Also, all of the shots are from a close up perspective being shot only a few feet from the subject so you never did see any faces or much of the background. But prior to this point I had really been noticing what the hands had been actively doing, not necessarily the hand itself. After this I started focusing more on the hand itself in each shot. The last half to 1/3 of the video also included a few shots of even closer up views of hands (like on was looking at a weathered thumb of some guy, another was of a girl's hand as she was tucking her hair behind her ear). After completing the video I started to think about what the video meant for me, and before I could I realized it was on a loop - so I watched the video a second time around, ha. But after that I guess I just started thinking about how the video uses so many different types of hands doing such a wide variety of activities (most of which pertaining to the creation of artwork) and to me it gives of the message about the real diversification of artists and how they all have something different and unique to contribute no matter what medium the may be working with, they all bring something to the table. So I guess to wrap it up I would just say that watching the "Innovative Touch" digital video project was actually really interesting in how it really brought about an evolving thought process for me as I went through it. Also, just as a note, I liked how she ended the video by showing the tape that pops out of the video camera that she has been supposedly taping all these things on - its labeled "HANDS" for all those non-intuitive people such as myself that may have taken a bit to really get the subject matter, it was a sort of "aha!" moment possibly if someone was lost through the whole video, ha.