Enchanted Response

The exhibit in the Nash gallery titled "Enchanted" has proven to be, at least in some places, a very disturbing exhibit. Particularly, for example, the ceramic sculptures by Roxanne Jackson like "The devouring mother" which feature grotesque images of bloody juxtapositions of human and animal subjects. However, i chose to take a look at a piece that was far less intense, and, as the case me be, more time-based and thus more relative to this class. I watched the film "Chubby Buddy" by Erika Yomens (2003). This is one of the pieces I found most enjoyable in any of hte galleries we went to because I was able to easily follow the solid narrative structure of the film (whereas, more often than not, the films we have seen in galleries were based more on visual association of imagery rather than narrative-based, as "Chubby Buddy" was." There was a main character featured here, supposedly being interviewed, and the content was easy to follow (as I said before, a solid narrative structure more familiar to how I am already trained from prior media experience in Hollywood film, for example.) This film is just as much art as one of those visual-based more "artsy" films is; it takes heavy emphasis in cinematography, for example, in a variety of high and low shots when the main character goes to find the chubby buddy. The visual qualities of the film serve to complement the narrative, not to override it (as those "other" visual-based films often do) For example, waves are shown when the main character talks of a stormy relationship, a camel flapping its gums is shown when he talks about the someone yapping at him. Furthermore, the eyes of an owl open and close the story, bringing the film full circle and serving as a metaphor open for intepretation to add to the narrative. The character, telling of his past and experiences, is immediately relatable to us, and so its easy to get in to this piece and really let it affect you, as the character's story engulfs the viewer.